83 evin 50hp surging

ch4man

Cadet
after new carb kits,a defective coil replaced,sinc & link at dealer.beyond 1/2 throttle motor starts to surge at times(most times) what i now notice is my fish finder also would drop out.lookin further is see my dash light would dim as the motor rpm would rise,then brighten as the surge would hit.im thinking maybe stator or rectifier.tried different batterys and isolated boat accessories any ideas?

fireman57

Captain
Re: 83 evin 50hp surging

Your rectifier converts AC to DC. Sounds like you may have a bad ground or connection. Remove all your wires at the engine and your igniton switch and clean thoroughly.

ch4man

Cadet

thx fireman,,i did a complete electrical check,cleaning grounds etc...found out i have other issuse that led me down the wrong path..a broken fuse holder that powers the fish finder and light was the cause of what i thought was a bad rectifer...got my kid to run the boat and with the air box off i can see im losing fuel at the higher rpms.squeezing the bulb clears the surge.
so off to the store,install a new (aftermarket) bulb and hose assembly it runs worse......i go back to the old fuel line and changed gas tanks,again no change.the dealer that did the link/sync noted good compression so im thinking weak pump...any other idea before i throw more parts at this??????

fireman57

Captain

Sounds like you are one the right track. Sorry for not getting back on here as often as I would like.

ch4man

Cadet

yeah ive been too busy to check this site,even busyier to try a fuel pump rebuild,,,when i do ill keep the forum posted