1st boat help

cashtim

Cadet
hello I am new at the boat thing. I would like to know what is the easyiest and cheapest used power boat to buy.I am on a budget but I want to take my little girl out on the lake. It would be fun i think can somebody please give me some good advice. And what to look for when buying a used boat. thanks

1-Fresh water boat
2-just crusing around boat
3-would like a small boat
I have a jeep liberty

Last edited:

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1st boat help

Big questions! Is there one certain type of boat that you are interested in? There's quite a few types and you need to narrow them down. That will help us tell you what to look for in a used boat. Maybe answering a few questions could help...

Fresh or saltwater use?
Fishing boat, ski boat, fish/ski boat, sailboat, or just cruising around boat?
What is your experience with boats?
What is your tow vehicle?

just for starters!:)

-welcome to iboats!

spots

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Budget will really determine much of this.

I would think you could get a 15-25 year old 16 or 17' aluminum boat with a 40 hp motor for under $2500. Not gonna be luxurious or beautiful, but will get you out on the water.

But a 16-17' fiberglass boat, in good condition, is gonna cost you more.

Aluminum has a weight advantage, which is important given the tow vehicle.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Easiest to operate will be a pontoon. Unfortunately they are not the easiest to tow. Cheapest will be a jon boat. But they are not at all comfortable. I always suggest renting a few different types of boats before buying one. Here is another thread that may help -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=199550

Kelly Cook

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also dependable, the old running out of gas, or breaking down, does work with the girls on the water. they get PO, and tell you to start paddling.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard!
For what you say you want to do, a small 15-16ft trihull would work out nicely, if you are going to a river or a small lake. Roomy for the size and quite stable, but they can have a harsh rough water ride. They would be easily towed by your Jeep.

Click on the "Boat Classifieds" at the top of the page, then under "Browse Boats" click "Bowriders 0-18 ft".
You will find a number of older trihulls for sale.

In the interest of full disclosure. I have my old 1971 Sea Star trihull for sale there so I am biased towards the type.:)

rndn

Commander

With an older boat, I would stick with an alum inum boat with a small outboard. A really nice one can be had but it requires patience. I purchased an excellent 1996 Crestliner with trailer and the 130HP Evinrude for $3,600.00. It was in storage for the last 9 years and had less than 25 hours on it. I looked for over 6 months staright before I found this beauty.
Randy