140 hp won't turn off

bhive

Cadet
I have a 1989 140 Evinrude that will not turn off with the key or kill switch. I have tested the key switch and kill switch asper the manual and they test out fine. all the connection in the motor seem good and clean. Does this mean the power pack needs to be replaced ????

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 140 hp won't turn off

I don't have that manual in front of me BUT see below:

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

If the above checks out as it should with a ohm meter, I would assume the circuitry within the pack is faulty.

bhive

Cadet
Re: 140 hp won't turn off

It was the wire from the key switch to the power pack. well it was the connector to the power pack(broken wire). Replaced and motor now turns off. thanks for the help