96 Johnson 3 cyl tiller stalls at full throttle

ncbugnut

Recruit
Hey
I have purchased a 96 tiller drive, pull start, 3 cyl, with oil tank on motor
the motor is super clean and was told low hours, it shows little wear
After test running in a barrel at purchase it did smoke allot but calmed down after a few mins, and had been foggged at storage. I took her out for the first time on the lake for a real test, and she cranks right up and runs fairly smoothe at idle, at low speeds she purrs and runs fine, but when you throttle her down, she will go for a min or two then just die, pull the rope and she cranks on first pull everytime, I replaced the spark plugs with new ones, and tried again to same effect, do you think the fuel filter could cause a problem like this??
it seems to be a fuel issue but im not sure HELP please thanks in advance
ncbugnut

BILL PAGE

Recruit
Re: 96 Johnson 3 cyl tiller stalls at full throttle

Hey
I have purchased a 96 tiller drive, pull start, 3 cyl, with oil tank on motor
the motor is super clean and was told low hours, it shows little wear
After test running in a barrel at purchase it did smoke allot but calmed down after a few mins, and had been foggged at storage. I took her out for the first time on the lake for a real test, and she cranks right up and runs fairly smoothe at idle, at low speeds she purrs and runs fine, but when you throttle her down, she will go for a min or two then just die, pull the rope and she cranks on first pull everytime, I replaced the spark plugs with new ones, and tried again to same effect, do you think the fuel filter could cause a problem like this??
it seems to be a fuel issue but im not sure HELP please thanks in advance
ncbugnut
sure sounds like a fuel problem to me, check your primer bulb, make sure it aint stickin

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check for leaks on gas line. Does it die if you continually pump the bulb after reaching WOT.

ncbugnut

Recruit

I have pumped bulb while it dies, but its hard to catch because it dies so fast
the lines seem fine , bulb too, ive ordered a fuel filter, and will go over the fuel sysytem completely, thanks!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure sounds like you have clogged high speed jets in the carb. time for a cleaning, removing the jets, and a rebuild kit for each carb.