timing on 1970 1150

tracterman2

Cadet
okay, did the link and synch..went great...except for one thing...when I first got the boat I went out and tried it out when I got all of it rewired and running decently. She ran like a scalded dog. Went home and timed it...OH MY...she was at 35 degrees total advance...this motor is one that says 27 degrees max from the factory...well I've been reading so I set mine to between 20 and 21...she ran well and idled well but really wasn't peppy at all..I know 35 is WAY to high...and I know everyone says 20 to 21 for these motors...but I thought that was on the ones timed to 23 from the factory...is that the same for mine?? or should I be more like 24 to 25?? Also maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing...I have two stickers on my engine...well timing tapes..one is on the flywheel and the other is on the shroud...I found TDC of the #1 piston and looked at where the tapes were lining up...there is a spot on the far right of the flywheel tape that has 3 dots taking out of it...they are on a line...the tape says TDC in a few places on that tape and I'm just confused at what exactly I need to be looking at when I use my light...Maybe I timed it wrong and thats why she runs like a dog now. I know on a truck you'll have a magnetic pickup or mark on the harmonic balancer that shows up when you use the light...well what do you use on these engines?? That tape confuses me..lol. I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about if ya'll would like...I really need my manual..haven't gotten it yet but will be here as soon as I find out which is the best...thanks again for all your help...Never thought you could have so much fun with a boat..I love working on stuff...great feeling of satisfaction to know you worked on it and it now works as well...lol. :D

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: timing on 1970 1150

Hello,
Use a dial gauge on the top jug and set the timing pointer to top dead center according to the sticker on the fly wheel (the pointer should be bolted onto the distributer clamp)
Once the pointer is set point your light at the pointer and the window across from it, set your timing to 21 BTDC according to the flywheel decal.
You should be all set! Not recommended to set at more than 21 for these old girls with todays gas! Burn Mid grade or better only!
Regards Jon