Air Pumps for Inflatables

kitjv

Cadet
I would appreciate some recommendations on both high-quality 12V electric & foot pumps for a 12-ft. inflatable. The foot pump would be used to top off the tubes & to inflate the air floor to about 11 psi. Thank you.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Air Pumps for Inflatables

Just get a 12v pump and forget a foot pump. I don't think there is any big differences in quality and they are not expensive. I've had one in my boat for 7 or 8 years. It always works when I take out the inflatable. Plugs into the power point or ciggy lighter.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree 12 volt high volume pump and a lighter plug.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

you do need a hand pump to finish off with .... you can basically buy any matress pump, it will work fine ...

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was recently looking at those Bravo pumps for my Achilles air floor. I believe they're the only 12 volt that will do the high psi for an air floor. I was gonna get the one with the rechargable battery. Google "Bravo air pump" and you'll find it, only a couple of dealers in the states. Good luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have this Bravo pump:

Bravo-12-MED.jpg

Pumps fast but it is LOUD!

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a cheap high volume low pressure pump on my inflatable, it only takes it up to about 1 psi, then switch to a bravo pump like Bruce uses to finish it to 3.5-4 psi. It won't go much higher than that. I have heard nothing but bad news about the Bravo "Turbo" high pressure pumps for air floors (internal drive gear failures). I got my Bravo 12 pump off ebay, brand new, for around 10 USD, but to replace it locally would be around $150 USD. The other pump I got at a local discount grocery store at the end of the season for around $5.
I would not go with a rechargeable as most I've seen deplete before the boat is inflated. I carry a hand pump in the boat for "away from vehicle" and emergency needs. The supplied hose with the Bravo 12 pump was a piece of crap, once that was changed with my own creation, c/w attattached Halkey Roberts adapter and pressure gauge, it has worked flawlessly for the last 6 seasons. I'm on the water and gone while others are still stomping and stroking with the bugs swarming around their heads. Both pumps are noisy, but I'll take the trade off!

Cheers,
Snow.

breezeway

Cadet

I also use the Bravo pump pictured. You can preset the pressure and it will turn off when it gets to that level. I start with 2.4 psi and fill the chambers starting with one side, then the front and then the other side. I'll then crank the pressure regulator up to 3.5 to and reverse the fill process to finish it off.
I have never used a foot pump to top it off.

tincan

Recruit

Snowdrggn,
I am about to buy a Bravo from SeaEagle Foldcat pontoon boat but I am kind of puzzled by your post.
Why do you need to start with a low pressure high volume pump and then finish it off with the Bravo 12? Isn't Bravo 12 a high volume, high pressure pump?

thanks

BobnAbout

Cadet

Very imformative thread! I have to admit, I have not thought about the pumping thing yet. I just ordered a SeaEagle FoldCat and have been looking at Trolling motors but when I did a search on FoldCat, this is the only thread I got. I guess I thought I would start the inflation at home where I have an air compressor and then finish off at the waters edge with a 12 volt air pump that I use for truck tires. The FoldCat comes with a foot pump, thought I would use that for the take along pump. I am looking forward to reading more on this blog on boating, I am getting back into the game of "pouring money into a hole in the water". It has been over 10 years since I owned a boat, but now I have a 4 yr old, and he needs a boat to learn about life.

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tincan,
The reason I use a seperate high volume pump is that I got 3 of them for $3 each (CDN) at a local store on an end of season clearance. They are faster than the Bravo at low pressure and a whole lot cheaper to replace. I do it to save wear aand tear on the Bravo. I get 3-4 seasons out of the cheap ones, then toss them. The cheap pumps will blow the boat up to around 1 psi, and can be finished easily with the foot pump if needed.
Also I found the pressure setting on the Bravo to be very innaccurate, I would suggest using a gauge if you are not sure of the pressure.

Cheers,
Snow

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

I have heard nothing but bad news about the Bravo "Turbo" high pressure pumps for air floors (internal drive gear failures). I got my Bravo 12 pump off ebay, brand new, for around 10 USD, but to replace it locally would be around $150 USD. The other pump I got at a local discount grocery store at the end of the season for around $5. Snow.

Hello Snow, I was just about to buy a Bravo Turbo, but before doing so thought I'd check to see what folks think of them, glad I read the comments above before buying one.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 ;) for something that may not see the season out, but the retail prices here in Canada start at $150 {if you're lucky} and head up past $200. I see there are a few going on the US eBay for $95 typical of how we get screwed here in Canada :mad:

I'd appreciate some further and betters on the Bravo's or alternatives, even at $95 plus p&p plus whatever they can rip you off for as it crosses the Border {not to mention Broker Fee's} would see the end result be well over $150.

I have a decent CanTire 12v pump but the volume from that would be pretty low, so I guess I need a dedicated pump able to blow up the tubes of the Saturn and the air floor.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

BobnAbout

Cadet

I too have a new foldcat, and would like to use the Bravo air pump from Seaeagle, it is much less than any other of the Bravo pumps sold on the net, Same pump just costs less from SeaEagle. I am presently using a cheapo 12 volt pump that I already have, and it works to get the FoldCat up, but you need to use the foot pump or another pump that will pump to 3 to 3.5 psi. I just got a Manometer, fancy name for an air gage, and I pumped the foldcat to 3.0 psi with the foot pump and what a difference it made. The instructions say pump with the foot pump until you can't push anymore, I think they are right. I am waiting to buy the Bravo from SeaEagle until Mommy quits bitching about the money, maybe next month, please let me know if you get one and how well it works or doesn't, I am curious. OBTW, I had ordered the Manometer from Defender, but they finally got back to me an said it would be 4-6 weeks, it has to come from Italy. Ordered one from West Marine, they had it the next day, seems they have 150 in their warehouse. Just to you know if you want one.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Over 20 years of inflatables, and I've never used anything but high volume, high quality bellows type foot pumps. They cost $60.00 or more, and push a lot of air per pump. If I were to own a boat that gets deflated after each usage, I'd probably go electric. For the boat that's stored inflated, foot pump is the way to go, as you can top it off while at sea without a battery.

Larry

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bobnabout
Got a model number for that manometer? I can't find it on their website. Thanks.

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Just found out that those $95 pumps on eBay aren't Bravo pumps after all, they
are "Made in China", I guess you get what you pay for, so I won't be paying for one of these.

Anyone seen a decent deal on the Bravo 12V HPP ?

canada_bob

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the links Chickendog & Surfga, appreciated...

I managed to find what seems to be the best deal from Waypoint, they have the Scorpega / aka the Bravo HPP pump on for $159, works for me, it's on its way.

http://www.waypointent.com/airpumps.html

As for the pumps from Boatstogo, well I've bought stuff from them before and never had a problem, but the pump they have for $99 is the "Made in China" one, seems to be a knock off of the Bravo HPP.

I'm a bit wary at buying a "knock off" like this from China, especially when I can buy the "real" Bravo for just $60 or so more. I know some folks have knocked the Bravo but from what I hear the problems they had were either years ago, or from folks who thought they'd bought a Bravo.

As with anything else, you pays your money and you takes your chance, on this occasion I'll pay a bit more to avoid that sinking feeling if I'd bought the cheaper pump and had problems with it, it's a judgment call, I guess there's no certainty with anything these days :(