lower shift cable

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 85 wellcraft with a mercruiser alpha one out drive I need to replace the lower shift cable the one in the out drive I have stoped and picked up the cable But was looking for a how to on boatfix and have not found it. Any help directing me in the right place would be great thanks.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: lower shift cable

Thanks That is what I was looking for looks like it will be as hard to do as I thought it would be.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to do the same thing. How did it go? Was it easy? Any problems?

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a bravo 2 . it's better with a helper , replace the shifter bellows to

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I had some other things I did so I got the shifter bellow and will be doing it tom I have a helper coming to help also.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had some other things I did so I got the shifter bellow and will be doing it tom I have a helper coming to help also.

Let me know how it goes! I'm waiting for my manual to arrive (from ebay) then I'll do mine.

Good luck!

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well got it all done was fairly easy I would say it took me maybe a hour that was including locating a old 9/16 deep socket to modify for the cable nut. That is with my out drive already been taken off a couple of days ago.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any surprises or things I need to watch out for? What did you have to do to modify the 9/16 deep socket?

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I just grinded two flat spots on the socket to make a open end wrench fit on it on the ratchet side. I had no suprises all went well.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Took the boat out last night since I installed the lower cable everything worked great shifted in and out of gear and neutral with no problems. Thanks To all the people that have helped on this forum.