60 Chrysler tilt and trim 3 wire hook up

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of restoring a MFG caprice the floors are done. The outboard was already on it with the tilt and trim there are 3 wires comming from the tilt and trim My big question is where do i hook these to get power. I am about to redo the wiring on the boat this week.
Any help on what I need to get this done would be a lot of help.

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 60 Chrysler tilt and trim 3 wire hook up

The wires have no connector on them.
I got the boat home today So I will post pics and give a better account of what I need.

aussiemik

Cadet

gday mate im no eleco but ive just sorted mine out and it is a three wire job blue, green and black from the pump motor, blue, green and red from the switch no relays, i fused the red wire from the battery pos side to the switch joined the blue wire from sitch to blue from pump motor, joined green wire from switch to green wire from pump motor and run black wire from pump motor to earth on batt. works great, if up or top part of rocker switch doesnt give you up on tilt and trim change blue and green at the back of switch. cheers mick

1riptide

Cadet

blue is your up, green is down, black is ground. red with white stripe is power.
from your switch blue goes to solinoid on big post, then blue from little post to motor. green goes straight from switch to motor. red from + batt to otherside of solinoid then to switch. black to ground.

aussiemik

Cadet

hi guys my set up has no relay is there any problems running without one because mine is working fine at the moment I understand useing a relay for driving lights to take the load off the wiring harness but im not sure what it does in this situation ???

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No major problems with no relay. 3 wire system came from factory that way. The only drawback is that you are running 20-30 amps through the switch. Tends to make the switch contacts burn out with heavy use. Relays avoid this by using only signal voltage through the switch and the relay carries the load current. Advantage: If a relay burns a contact, you just plug in a new relay. Also: Avoids carrying load current through a long length of wire. Less current drop, less heating, less potential problems from high current.
If it is working well, follow the maxim: If it aint broke, don't fix it!

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right now i just have a cable with 3 wires comming from the tilt and trim with no connector coming to front of the boat. Whats the best way too set things up . I really mean what should I buy? I really would like too test to see if its actually working

aussiemik

Cadet

just connect the black wire to earth on battery and try green wire to positive on battery preferably with a fuse should give you up then the blue wire to positive should give u down ??? and thanks frank for that tip this is a great site cheers guys mick