V-8 in a 185?

jmolin3

Cadet
hi guys just want to know if anyone knows any reason why i couldn't put a V-8 in a 07 185. it looks like it could fit. I know a V-8 is heavier but no heavier than two guys back there i figure. just wandered what you guys think. thanks.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: V-8 in a 185?

Youll need to check and see if the engine cover will still cover the motor? youll also need to probably change or regear your outdrive. If you have a 6 cyl a v8 will most likely fit. Youll probably need a complete motor since basically nothing on your current boat will owrk for a v8 swap.
personally i woudl sell it and buy a boat with a v8. Probably less headache.
the motor can run you anywhere from 1000 to 5000$ if you buy used and you get a complete motor. and I mean COMPLETE.
My buddy has a v8 ford marine motor complete and hes selling it for 1500$. ive also seen them cheaper than that. What I woudl do is go look around at the ned of the boat season and buy a running v8 boat thats in bad shape. you can probably pick one up cheap. i bought one for 25$ thats twentyfive dollars.
Look around youll be surprised at what some people will sell cheap
Rob

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: V-8 in a 185?

I don't think it would that big a deal. Bayliner has made several boats in that size with 5.0 and 5.7 litres motors. Not that much of a stretch.
However, regardless of that fact I would take the time (once the existing motor is out) to get some marine/pressure treated wood (plywood or whatever) and add some bracing into the bottom area around the motor mounts. I would both fasten and fibreglas them into place. This would take a few hours and is not that difficult and would/could prove very useful in stiffening and stabilizing the back end of the boat.
Good luck.