Service Issue with Mercruiser

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
94 5.7 Alpha One - I bought new Merc manifolds and installed them per the manual. After hours of labor, trips to plumbing stores and calls to my boat supply store, my dealer and I determined that the manifolds were defective. The 90 degree fitting that is SUPPOSE to screw into the bottom of the manifold doesn't thread as a result of the defect.

Mercruiser is replacing the part, but I think that they should do something to compensate me for the time spent installing the manifolds, troubleshooting the problem, taking the manifolds back off, bringing them to the dealer, ordering the new parts, re-installing the new parts etc...

I am not necessarily looking for straight cash but maybe a freegin apology and probably more like a discount on the part or a 5/10% off your next purchase type thing similar to what a restaurant or other service organization would do for a justified complaint. Instead, when I called Merc, they tried to blame me for not inspecting the part, imply that since I was not a licensed dealer, I had somehow contributed to the defective part, refuse to let me speak with a supervisor and lastly, default to their policy which basically says in so many words "replace the part but do nothing for a customer who has been totally screwed as a result of your defective part". Am I off the reservation on this one?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Service Issue with Mercruiser

No you are not off base.....
But that won't help ya.....
All kinds of products have the disclaimer that states they will only replace the defective part.....:rolleyes:
You are SOL.....
Get over it & move on.....;)

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was afraid you would say that! HA

John_S

Rear Admiral

I agree with Haut. Your best bet would be discussing with the dealer they were purchased from. They might want to extend good will and provide some future discount.