johnson 33 hp-dies when choke is released

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1967 Johnson RX-15c 33 hp motor on a 14' Glaspar Lido Runabout. The problem I have is that when I pull the choke (it has a manual choke) the motor starts, but once I release the choke, the motor dies.

Here's a little background info. I bought the boat last year, and when I took it out, the boat ran fine. After storing it for the winter, it started right up in the garage where I keep the boat. I then took the boat out to the lake a month ago, turned the key and it would not start. The starter was fine, but the motor would not turn over. I then took it to the garage where I store the boat, put the muffs on and tried starting it up. Same problem. After reading in the forums, I changed the fuel, sprayed some fuel oil mixture directly into the carb. It ran for a quick couple of seconds, so I figure fuel was not getting into the carb. I took apart the carb to see if it was dirty. It looked clean. I checked the float and needle and the float was fine, the needle stuck a little. I soaked the needle in some carb cleaner. After soaking, I put the carb back together and onto the motor. I pulled out the choke, and it started, though it "sputtered" here and there. After I released the choke, the motor died. And that is where I am right now.

I did notice when putting the carb back on that there was a slight leakatge of fuel coming out of the sides of the fuel pump cover when I primed the fuel, so I tightened the screw. It leaked less, but still leaks a little. I've ordered a new fuel pump. I haven't received it, but once I replace it I'll test things again.

But I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Could there be another issue besides the fuel pump?

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson 33 hp-dies when choke is released

Jets in carbs need cleaning. Just looking clean is not always enough. A very small speck of trash can cause large problems.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Its the carb. Take every part of the carb apart as possible i use a parts washer and then blow everything out with air. This hasn't failed me yet and iv done over 30 carbs. Get a fuel pump kit and install that theirs probably a small fuel leak.
If you want this to be a 95% fix get a new carb kit and new fuel pump kit and have the carb cleaned well.

I just cleaned a 33hp 1971 carb and it wasn't bad but i don't know what to set the needles at? should i start with 1/2 turn out or what?
Thanks

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Great info,
I have the same engine, and had same problem also.
clean that carb, use rebuild kit, get the plastic float as your if original is still the old cork float.

A little bit of tarnish and this carb will not work correctly.

Rebuild or replace the fuel pump, also check connectors and ruber o rings on your fuel line to make sure none are cracked or broken.

soak the carbs in a carb cleaning solution, NAPA has a gallon can with parts soaking tray, expensive but it is the best I have found.

Once carb is rebuilt and installed go to sticky section and read Joe Reeves carb adjustment guide, follow it to the letter. It works fantastic.

the old 33hp will fire up every time and idle great, run good after you complete the maintenance.

Use a fuel stabilizer in your fuel before it sits up for anytime, this will eliminate the tarnish,gunk problem.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

with the new gas with the ethanol even the stabilizer doesn't rely work.
I heard a shot of karosean will do the trick! Haven't tried it but might.
Matt

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Once carb is rebuilt and installed go to sticky section and read Joe Reeves carb adjustment guide, follow it to the letter. It works fantastic.

Whats the link i cannot find it? Thanks