Is it too hot?

bobwalter

Cadet
1984 Mercury 200hp. Boat and motor sat for ten (10) years without attention. This is a saltwater boat. Emptied and cleaned fuel tank. New fuel lines and new fuel pickup tube. Have not changed fuel pump. Water pump is new. 15# water pressure at 1500 rpm. Thermostats replaced. Old ones were totally disintegrated. Nothing but gaskets and a little residue left.
Put in the river today for the first time.. Ran very well and smooth at 2000 rpm for about 10 minutes. Then it began to run a little rough. Lost rpm and slowly shut off. Thought it was a fuel issue. Changed the Racor. Ran for 2 to 3 minutes very smooth and again slowed and stopped. Fuel bulb was firm. Could coax it to run at idle but it backfired occasionally. Opened the cowl and the heads/water jackets too hot to hold hand on. Water from tell tale was too hot to hold hand in. I assume this is too hot. ??? I don't believe that the alarm horn works. (Next project.) Is it possible that the old thermostat parts (residue) partially plugged up the cooling passages? Can this be cleaned out? How? I have a factory manual and parts book. Any other thoughts??? Before I replaced the thermostats and after the new water pump, it would pee 8 to 10 feet. Now I only get about 1 to 2 feet. ??? Water pressure still shows the same as before the thermostats. Have run weedeater line up tell tale and it is clear. Compression is 120 all the way. Need a little help here, please.

Bob

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is it too hot?

Sounds like blocked passages, I dont know if that year had a pop-it valve or not. I would pull the thermostats and flush. Also check compression.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it too hot?

If you can't touch the water jackets comfortably it's too hot...bet some crud or leftover t-stat pieces are in the system somewhere. Time to investigate.