VRO Bypass Instructions - 1995 200HP Johnson

txlunker

Cadet
I recently posted another thread. And thought this information would be useful.

On a recent fishing trip, my "no oil" light came on and the alarm sounded appropriately, but my oil tank was 3/4 full. I quickly shut off the outboard and poured oil into the gas and got back to the boat ramp.

I got home mixed 50:1 and with the help of this forum bypassed the VRO.

It was simple and easy, and if you have the same engine (or similar) here are quick instructions:

1. Under the cowling unhook and plug the oil hose from the VRO - a bolt and zip-tye works well. Cap the VRO oil nipple with a 1/4" nipple cap and zip-tye(found at O'reillys or Autozone)

2. Follow the 4 colored wires (black, purple, tan, black) from the VRO to the connection. Located under the T&T cover (black cover w/ three screws). Disconnect the 4 wire connection and cover with electrical tape.

3. From the oil tank follow 2 wires (tan & black) all the way under the cowling and under the same T&T cover disconnect the 2 wire connection and cover with electrical tape.

That should do it..... Unless, your "no oil" light stays on, and the alarm still sounds after the bypass.

Here's what I found out, talked with my local marine tech - he let me know that my VRO might be just fine. There were two other issues to check.

1. The warning guage could be bad. (the 4 light with - no oil, water temp, check engine, and low oil). Which in my case was the issue. $35.00 later and I'm back up and running with my VRO.

2. There are diodes in the wiring harness for the new VRO warning system. The diodes allow the warning system to differenciate between "no oil" and "engine temp". If this is the case, you have to replace them. He let me know it is tedious, you have to strip the wiring harness and find the diodes. Or you can always replace the entire harness, but that will set you back $200 for harness alone.

Only way to figure out which on is trial and error. First replace the guage. If that doesn't do it get ready to strip the wires and spend some time.

Hope this was helpfull - long winded, but helpful.

Thanks to all that helped me!!!!!