Sport Jet Blues

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok now I know why my 1994 Merc sport jet 90 was not going as fast as it once was. I thought the Impeller was wearing out and maybe due to replace---Oh I wish---we took the housing apart and found a 2" hole and very severe wear marks where the impeller rides---time for a new one--is it possible to find a used one or is that just aking for more trouble

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sport Jet Blues

Wear rings aluminum-saw guys on old sportjet site posts of 'relining' it with JB weld....seemed that worked well for them. They applied with a spatula, little oversized and used the impellor to shave the extra JB weld off for tight fit.

I've done a few using aluminum epoxy, last 2 I used marine tex 2 part epoxy and it stuck well. I used a jig and large lathe to turn a tight fit-any local machine shop could do this with $10 of epoxy and it'll run better than it came from factory. No need to buy new wear ring, its expensive since its 1 peice large casing.

cujo31

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply--the only problem is it also has a hole busted out on the cone shaped end where it looks like oil is supposed to be---so I think this housing is shot

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cone shaped end is stator, it does contain gear oil. Its seperate from wear ring housing....strange for it to break.

PM me an email addy if you want a shop manual-should help.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also think its strange to have a hole in the end ---but there is about a 2" hole in it--I'm going to order a new houseing and wear ring--my wife works at a boat dealer so I can buy parts close to cost--that helps--my question is--should I replace the impeller with a merc part or are ther better preformance impellers on the market???

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK-now I've bought all new parts and am replacing the Impeller and housing---what type of oil do I have to use--it looks like like there is a res the front of the shaft and the back part that broke--thanks