Carb Adjustment on Yamaha 8

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Replaced fuel pump diaphragms and rebuilt carb on my kicker. Put about 10 hours on it, ran absolutely perfectly and then it died. Finally got it going again after 20 minutes of pulling. After reading posts here, I found that the primer bulb is shot, so I'll pick one of those up.

Question is, what is the right adjustment on the idle mixture screw? When I disassembled the unit, I seated the screw, and counted approx 1-3/4 turns or so. I'm sure it was adjusted at one point, but I'd like to have it to spec, then go from there. I want to rule out adjustments as a possible cause of the motor dying.

The Clymer manual I have makes no reference, other than to note the number of turns, etc.

One other question - if, after using the motor all day, shouldn't there be pressure built up inside the gas tank? I don't get that pressure relieving "hiss" outta the tank any more when I loosen the cap.

Thanks
Rick

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Carb Adjustment on Yamaha 8

the tank's ventilation screw must always be open when operating the motor ..... the carb screw setting should be turn inwards to soft stop (be carefull not to brake this off) then outwards 1 and a half turns .... then you can lightly adjust from there, it is best to adjust this when the motor is fully warmed up .....

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb Adjustment on Yamaha 8

Thanks! I figured it was the old turn-and-a-half deal on the mixture screw, but with no reference in the book, I just needed to make sure... I appreciate your help.

Rick