115 HP Evinrude shut down at cruising speed

bvcolley

Cadet
I purchased a used 1996 Suncruiser pontoon with a 115 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. During test rides it ran fine, I drove it from the marina to my slip with no problems. I took it out for the first real ride and it ran fine for about 30 mins. cruising at 4k rpm. We stopped for about an hour lunch, headed back, ran about 15 mins. at the same rpm and the engine completely shut off. Nothing I could do to get it started, no warning lights (such as over heating), got towed in, after around 1 hour I pulled one plug to check for fire, it had fire and a puff of smoke came out the exhaust giving the the inkling that it would now start, put the plug back in and it started up. I pulled it around to the proper slip and let it sat overnight, when out in the morning and it started immediately. Any help before I get stranded again? Thanks Ben

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 115 HP Evinrude shut down at cruising speed

I would start by checking the "kill" switch and it's circuitry. Your symptoms point to something electrical - loose or corroded.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you break down again check for spark on each cylinder. could be power pack, heating up and failing.

Scoward

Cadet

Make sure the throttle is in Neutral when you turn the key.

bvcolley

Cadet

As I said, I tried to re-start numerous times but would not hit, after the long tow home and pulling the plug and getting a spark, I kinda figured it would start and it did. If it fails again, I should check it immediately to see if there's fire at the plug correct? Thanks for the help, Ben

bvcolley

Cadet

I have replaced the power pack and also both coils, still have the exact same problem, run for around 30 min. and just shuts down. I was told two other possibilities would be the timing block or the stator, most likely the stator. What do you thing? Thanks Ben