Basics: I want to learn

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was a hunter all my life and really thought fishing was boring so I never really learned...now I'd like to learn freshwater fishing since I've matured enough to know I was wrong. :)

..a few well written reference book's suggestions will sure help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Basics: I want to learn

Find a copy of "McLane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia", Mystro.

Some of the content is a little dated (1980s), but it is loaded with about anything you want to know.

bass buster

Seaman

Like JB says, McLanes' Encyclopedia is like a fishing bible.

I suggest, go to a public library, where you can find this book, and many others, on just about any type of freshwater fishing.

I think you will find that fishing is a bit more exciting than hunting. Of course, thats just my opinion.:)

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm off to the library for a look at Mclanes Encyclopdia..thanks guys.

CATransplant

Admiral

I just bought a copy of that book on eBay. There are some not bad prices for it there, and it's good to have around as a reference.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Ask around where you work or goto church. Find some people that go fishing once in awhile and ask them if they'd mind showing you the ropes....Sometimes people don't go fishing as much as they like because they don't have someone to go with them.

[Original]
Find people that go fishing once some

[Replaced]
Find some people that go fishing once in awhile

Last edited:

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent suggestion, it would be nice to have someone actually show me some basics..I also thought about using a guide service but I like your idea better.

One question regarding McLane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia..what do ya think would be the differences between newer edition publishing dates?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some of McLane's suggestions about artificial baits, reels and lines are obsoleted by newer technology, Mystro.

The advent of spectra braid lines with zero stretch has resulted in longer, more limber rods for musky, for example. The much smaller diameter of spectra braids gets better action out of lures that were dead with stretchy monofilaments and allows longer casts because of reduced air and water drag.

Reels, also, have advanced a lot. Superior drags on smaller, lighter unobtainium reels that hold more high test braided line and sport more stainless steel ball bearings than a Volvo.

Just 15 years ago my musky rod was a 6' long fiberglass Fenwick cue stick and my musky reel was a light salt water Ambassaduer 7000 to hold a few hundred yards of 50lb test monofilament. I used 2-4oz. lures that could double for firewood.

Now I use a 7' featherweight carbon fiber gloomis rod with a fast tip, Garcia Morrum reel loaded with 50lb test Power Pro spectra braided line and I toss lures of 5/8 to 7/8oz. Even my Morrum reel has been surpassed by the latest (expensive) technology.

Now, don't let that discourage you. The basics remain the same and it is basics you want to master before you go out and spend several hundred bux on a rod and several hundred more on the Rolex of reels.

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with JB concerning the basics. I have outfits (open-faced spinning) that are over 20 years old and still catch fish as well as the new stuff. As valkyr suggested, having someone show you a few things is better than just reading it. Check out www.andemonofilament.com and send them an e-mail requesting their 50 page knot book. It's free. If you only learn two knots in your life let them be the improved clinch and the palomar. Both are in the book and simple to tie. I use them 90% of the time if not more. Gotta run, MJ.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The knot links are very helpful and I checked out a copy of the encyclopedia..I'll be buying a copy for sure. Very helpful info all..thanks.

rndn

Commander

There may also be local fishing club members that would help you get started.

rndn

Commander

ifishinwater
Great link to the knots. I didn't know about the site before. Thanks again.

bass4brains

Cadet

Plastic ,Plastic and more Plastic for beginners, Worms or lizzards, bullet sinker, and a 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap hook rigged texas style, soon as it hits bottom give it a little jiggle and take up the slack,try to keep your rod tip at the 10 o'clock position when givin it that little jiggle if it bumps or pulls back reel down to 8 o'clock to take up the slack and set the hook HARD! Your gonna catch a few trees and rocks at first but you'll soon learn to feel the difference between a rock and a fish, fish will often feel like a little extra weight or a tug rather than an actual bump like a rock or tree limb will. Best of all When you do hang up you'll only lose .20 cents or so rather than the five or six dollars that most crank baits will cost you. Second choice would be an unweighted fluke,( 3/0 hook and just a fluke) count to ten or so and retrieve basicly same as you would a worm. unweighted they'll sink about a foot every 2 seconds. Smithwick rouges are great too as fish will usually hook itself but like I said earlier when you lose one it hurts at $6.50 a pop.

Ron G

Commander

Read what was posted up above in that bass thread.read all you can.but rember when on the water fish dont read books.Bass clubs are always looking for members.if ya starting out theres some clubs that all there tourments are draw tournments.get into that!!!what they do is at the meeting they draw names and pair you up with other people.its a very good way to learn how to fish and learn the lakes.good luck.