1996 merc XR6 carb motor

lunker

Recruit
Please can someone help after motor started oil light and beeper comes on, I have made sure both cap on tanks are tight. I have cleaned screen and pick up tube in 3gal remote tank. I removed the cap from the small oil tank and started motor and thi tank overflowed. Oil level is at the bottpm of filler neck when motor is not running all hoses are ok. Any help is appreciated.
Lunker

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 merc XR6 carb motor

I'm confused. You filled til it overflowed but the oil level is at the bottom of the neck. It'll start beeping when the oil level drops out of the neck. It has to be absolutely full to the point of overflowing.

lunker

Recruit

I'm confused. You filled til it overflowed but the oil level is at the bottom of the neck. It'll start beeping when the oil level drops out of the neck. It has to be absolutely full to the point of overflowing.

Sorry for the confusion the light and beeper comes on when motor is started
I checked both tanks for oil level and both were full started motor again and light and beeper came back on. What can I do to trouble shoot problem. Your help is apprecited.

gss036

Commander

Follow the 2 wires coming from the top of the oil tank on the motor and disconnect them at the bayonet fitting, then re-check w/disconnected. It if stops you need to look at the magnet in the tank to see if it is attached.

lunker

Recruit

Follow the 2 wires coming from the top of the oil tank on the motor and disconnect them at the bayonet fitting, then re-check w/disconnected. It if stops you need to look at the magnet in the tank to see if it is attached.

Thanks for your help I will let you know outcome