No start HOT!

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having a problem starting hot and keeping running. 1976 302ci. Merc. 2barrel Rochester. ALL ignition new, including starter. Boat cranks and sometimes starts but as soon as there is any load it falls on it's face and dies. Got to a point where there was no start at all. This has happened 3 seperate times. When it's cold it starts right up! Runs great for 3+ hours. Carb funtioning great as best I can tell, but after running it WOT awhile it starts acting up like it's out of fuel but you can see accelerator pump shooting fuel down intake. Water temp at 150 to 200 at WOT at the gauge. New fuel filter, inline screen clean. What could it be? I'm thinking fuel pump, but I don't know?

Ken

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: No start HOT!

I would have a look at the screen at the bottom of the pick up tube.....;)
Is there any fuel in the sight glass bowl?......:)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

First, 200 degrees is too hot under any conditions.

When your engine won't start you have to determine what is NOT happening, either no fuel or no fire. To check for fire pull the coil wire from the distributor cap and hold the end close to a good ground, crank engine and watch for spark, should be able to arch 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you have spark do this test.

Testing Your Fuel System

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's no fuel in site glass. I have not checked the pick up tube but, I'm not sure it's a hot issue. If it's easy to get at I'll check it out.

Reel Poor, I'll have to find a vacuum and fuel presure gauges to test. I did a visual check of all the fuel lines and I know the tank vent is working properly. I was thinking is it possible that the when motor is hot that it could vaporize the fuel in the bowl to not allow it to run?