55hp Evinrude -69 just died!

ypzilon

Cadet
I took my boat (Evinrude 55hp -69) for a ride this morning, after about three minutes at full trottle it just died. When I cranked it I heard that the compression was lower than normal, there came gray smoke and it didn't start.

I've got it out of the water now and I tokk a compression-test, it showed 73-88-104, one month ago I had 117-118-117 vand the engine has been running about ten minutes since then (today was the first full trottle run).
The spark plug looks good and all three has similiar color.

Any ideas? My best theory is the head gasket, what do You think?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55hp Evinrude -69 just died!

There's a difference of 31 psi between the highest and lowest compression reading. Remove the cylinder head in order to inspect the combustion chambers.

Did you or someone forget to add oil to the gasoline?

ypzilon

Cadet

I just took the head of. The gasket was worn, but undamaged. The combustion-chambers in the head was VERY clean, there where almost no carbon-deposit at all.
Cylinder 1 has a rubber-like "coating" on the cylinder-wall.
Cylinder 2 looks pretty good, just some smaller scratches.
Cylinder 3 has more scratches, but it still seems to be ok.

I'm 100% sure that there is oil in the gasoline, I took the last 4dl in the can...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I looked at the picture and sorry to say, your engine is due for a overhaul. Running it in its present condition will simply lead to further damage.

ypzilon

Cadet

Is this something that could happen just like that or is it normal wear over a long time?
Could it be the reason that the engine doesn't start? It ran perfectly before it died...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, it doesn't have enough compression to run. i just sold the same powerhead, that came with a boat, i bought, had 110,100,100. bearing were gone, 2 broke rings. how it had that compression, no one knows the guy was still happy, he got his moneys worth, in the starter, carbs etc. he want it for parts. $75.00

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, that's not normal wear over any period of time. The engine was either run with fouled carburetors (running lean), or it was run without the proper mixture (or no oil).

To have the compression of 117-118-117 drop to 73-88-104 in such a short period of time, something such as the above had to take place.

I'd suggest getting another engine as your present one isn't worth putting a great amount of money into.

ypzilon

Cadet

I cleaned and looked closer at the cylinders today and I found a little piece of melted aluminum on the top cylinder wall (you could see it at the picture).
But I can't find the reason why the other two cylinders lost all, but I havn't removed the pistons yet...

To bad, this was the first time the engine worked perfect, earlier I have had trouble starting it, bad idle and low top-speed. After the service this winter it started directly, had great idle and I got about 5 mph more than last year... =(

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

With cars I always felt they ran best right before they died.. Didnt know this was true for two strokes too.

ypzilon

Cadet

I will give it a try to see if I some honing and new ring will be enough.
Engines costs alot here in Sweden, a 20-30 year old ~50hp engine costs about $1500...
I found a guy that might have new rings for €12/each and I can do the honing myself.