prop not turning

atreeps

Cadet
hey guys

Ran my boat aground a shallow sand bank the ohter week and got it back in the the boat ramp after. its a 75 hp chrysler early 1980 late 1970 and wen i tried to start it a week later the prop would not turn properly. it would spin slowly but would work when in forward or reverse but the motor seemed to be running fine. I have been told by somone that i may need to change the propeler hub as it detaches sumtimes when u run it aground and was just wanting to know if this assesment may be accurate or not as doesnt sound right to me as it continued to run after it ran aground. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: prop not turning

Check you gearlube for bits of metal. The prop hub could be spun, but if it's doing that on the hose and not in the water, it ain't.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

To test for a spun prop use a perm marker and draw a line on the prop to the prop nut. When running if you think it slipped look at the prop and see if the lines still line up. If not it is a spun prop. My guess is you somehow lost your pivot screw or the pin in the pivot for your clutch and now the clutch is wandering between forward and reverse. The only way to verify this is to remove the lower unit and shift manually and see if you get get forward reverse and neutral.

atreeps

Cadet

ok heres where im at

i took off the lower unit and the rod that goes down into the gearbox to slide it forward into gear adn backwards. the rod has come loose and i cannot put it back on even tho i know how it goes on?? dunno if that makes any sense but is a little u shaped piece of metal that goes on the shaft adn the rod slides onto that. cannot seem to fit it all together and make it slide properly? any help would be appreciated if what i said made any sense. Or maybe sumone has a picture that would better explain it.

thanks guys

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You have an early model two piece lower unit. The shift rod screws into a square block on the shift pivot. if this block has turned a little, the threads will not line up and you will not be able to get the rod back in. If you can not feel your way and turn the block, then you must disassemble the lower unit to see it. You will have either a two bolt or three bolt lower unit. up top at the point of the lower unit, in front of the water pump will be one 9/16 nut holding the front stud. This stud is about 8 inches long and tends to corrode in the case. It can be very difficult to remove. Behind the water pump there will be 1 or 2 more nuts on studs. These nuts will have very thick washers with an o ring seal under one of them. remove the nuts and slide down the gearcase until you can see the shift pivot. turn the block and screw in the shift rod.
Now: if the shift yoke has fallen off the shaft or broken, it will need to be replaced. Remove the two screws holding the shaft gland in the gearcase and tap the ears of the gland to turn it about 90 degrees. then tap it out of the case. pull out the prop shaft with the reverse gear attached. when you replace the shift yoke on the shift shaft, use some grease to hold it in place. push the shift rod down all the way to move the pivot forward then carefully insert the shaft through the center of the forward gear and engage the shift yoke with the pivot. Bolt everything up and test to be sure the shift is working both in forward and reverse. if not, the yoke has fallen off the shaft and you need to repeat.

atreeps

Cadet

cheers for that will be giving it a try tonite thanks for the detailed explanation should be able to sort it using what you have said. :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to tell you: If the shift yoke has broken or fallen off the shaft it will stay behind the forward gear and bearing. The forward gear is not removable without removing the pinion gear. However if you use some solvent in the gearcase and shake it a little, the yoke should finally drop out without removing the forward gear.