another montgomery ward sea king year search

hoss62773

Seaman Apprentice
I've acquired this motor a few years ago. I was thinking of using it as a trolling motor, if it's worth the trouble. Model number is XTV 50535 B and ser# 1613035. It's an air cooled motor and i cannot find a gear lube port other than removing the plate below the prop shaft. there are 4 screws holding it in place. any ideas? it's a 3.5 hp

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: another montgomery ward sea king year search

KTV-5035 is a 1980 made by Clinton. The gearcase contains a thin grease as opposed to a thick oil. You have to remove the bottom cap and dig it out. It's semi-permanent.

hoss62773

Seaman Apprentice

it's definitely an XTV in the model number, there is a type num. K 3506106 A

can i use the same grease that i use on my mercury grease fittings in the gearcase for this sea king?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My after market service manual indicates any quality outboard gear lube.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Most old outboard people use lubriplate #105 Motor Assembly Grease in grease type lower units. NAPA Autp Parts Stores has it. I think the Mercury gun grease would be too thick, but have never tried it.

hoss62773

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys i've been away for a bit just cought up. might give it a try starting this weekend. after i change sparkplug and that gear lube. looks like a pretty simple engine.

hoss62773

Seaman Apprentice

finally got to that lower unit and scraped out all the old grease. there is no gasket material. that cannot be ok for reassembly. any ideas for a new one? hardware store up the streat sells sheets of gasket material. i was considering cutting one to fit. is that a stupid idea?

I also got it running and it starts ok. if i open the choke all the way it cuts out. I think its just real gunked out from sitting for years. suggestions? where can i find a manual? thanks again.

tile@sea

Cadet

Aww, man....you're giving away the secret of all the "experts" on these engines...the ones who always know the year of oddball outboards. :D

Hi CATransplant, I grew up in San Diego and now am fishing for Coho salmon on the Puget Sound in WA. Just bought a advertised 70's Sea King 5 hp and low hours, no spark but good compression and a very kleen unit. Bought a new spark plug but still no spark. looking for info, service manual, oil ratio, parts availability. Were does a guy find data records? CLINTON ENGINE CORP Model # K5002106 A Serial # 714269 Type # 27405 R :)
Thank You
tile@sea

Sea King Rob

Cadet

Anyone ever try replacing the gaskets on the power head? I have a new leak appears to be near the crank case gasket do I need to worry about this or just let it leak and run it.