motor problems

domtam

Recruit
Hello guys,

Let me start by saying I?m a long time fisherman, first time boater and new to this forum. I recently baught a used boat (my first one) and we ran it in Texas city / Galveston bay (gulf of Mexico). We launched the boat and it started right up. But when I throttled up it would bog down and die out. Now before you call me a dumb a!$ for buying a piece of crap:cool:.I did run it before I bougt it and after the trip with a water hose and it worked fine throttled up with no problem. Can you guys give me an idea ? By the way the motor is a Johnson 88 spl and its pushing a 19.5 pro glass center console (well it don?t push sh!t right now:mad:) thanks for the help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: motor problems

i have an 88spl, super engine. check compression and spark, sound as if the high speed jets are clogged. or the vent on the fuel tank is clogged. did you try pumping the fuel line bulb, when it was acting up. what year and model # is it.

domtam

Recruit

I think the engine is an 1989-90 and yes we did pump the bulb but it did not help. im at work right now

And dude I have a the identical twin for your dog pitcher but mine has brown eyes

thanks

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I also had an 1989 88 SPl. It was a great running bullet proof engine.

It sure sounds like a fuel problem to me. Make sure your tank is vented, and MAKE SURE you are using fresh gas, and not what could possibly be old gas that came with the boat. Clean the screen on the fuel pump, and then tackle the Carbs. Fortunately, a two stroke carb of that era are very simple in design, and a rebuild kit is cheap and easy to do. These kits along with a can of Gum Out will do the trick for you. Fact is, most times a Carb cleaning without the rebuild Kits will do the trick!

Also, take a look at the plugs just for laughs and giggles. If they look bad, use only Champion brand plugs for replacement. One final thing. Sierrra branded parts for older OMC motors are readily available at much better prices. Check with your local NAPA dealer if there is not a marine dealer nearby.

Have fun. You have a GREAT motor!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Support our host which gives us this free forum. iboats also carries Sierra.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Inported FR

You are so correct, and I am truly sorry to I Boats. I was not aware they also sell Sierra parts. My BIG mistake, and I am again sorry for the mistake.