tyres wobble

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
i just bought a second hand boat with trailer when towing it home i noticed when i turn left or right the trailer would wobble but driving a strait line it tows fine even on the high way doing around 80mph or (roughly 100kph) i jacked up the trailer gave both wheels a spin and noticed both tyres have bubbles so to speak are these tyres usable/salvagable?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: tyres wobble

i just bought a second hand boat with trailer when towing it home i noticed when i turn left or right the trailer would wobble but driving a strait line it tows fine even on the high way doing around 80mph or (roughly 100kph) i jacked up the trailer gave both wheels a spin and noticed both tyres have bubbles so to speak are these tyres usable/salvagable?

If the tires have any bulges then replace them. While you are at that part of the trailer you should check / replace / repack the wheel bearings as well. The "wobbling" you experienced was most likely the side walls of the trailer tires flexing as the load changed.
Make sure you replace them with a good quality trailer tire.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I highly reconmmend Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. I also highly recommend that you avoid Carlisle trailer tires.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need to know the weight of the load you are carrying to get the proper rated tire. cars tires don't belong on trailers, only ST tires. also proper inflation is absolutely necessary. under inflation is the # 1 cause of trailer tire failure. info: http://www.championtrailers.com/tire.html

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

a local tyre shop has the tyres i need there a odd size (20.5x8.0-10) he asked if they were for a wheel borrow the current tyres take 50psi the boat on the trailer is a 15ft pongrass when i get the new tyres ill make sure they have propper tread to pass rego

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree on the prognosis but you could have loose hub nuts also. When the trailer is jacked up to change the tires, grasp the hub on both sides and attempt to rock it back and forth. There should be very very slight movement if any.

When you install the axle retaining nut the procedure is to tighten till good and snug and back off to the first notch that the cotter pin will go thru. This, by definition will/can give you just a tad of slack.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nobody noticed 80 MPH with tires that had bulges?? At 80 MPH those tires are running at something in the neighborhood of 1260 RPM.

rndn

Commander

I agree with Silvertip. 80mph while pulling a trailer is an accident waiting to happen

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, 80 MPH is more like 129 KPH, not 100 KPH, so I don't think he even knows how fast he really is going. Probably only 60 MPH.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

a local tyre shop has the tyres i need there a odd size (20.5x8.0-10) he asked if they were for a wheel borrow the current tyres take 50psi the boat on the trailer is a 15ft pongrass when i get the new tyres ill make sure they have propper tread to pass rego

Do NOT put a wheel barrow tire on whatever you do !!