Need help fast- water pump question

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I removed the lower unit on my 1988 60 hp mercury to put in a new impellor. I printed off a parts schematic before starting so that I could familliarize myself with the parts inside. I discovered that there were 2 pieces missing, presumably from an earlier repair by the previous owner. The missing parts are the rubber seal between the water pump outlet and the metal tube going up to the power head and a plastic ring that goes directly below the rubber piece.
I went to the marina and purchased the items, but I am unsure how they are to be installed. As this is a common and frequent maintenance repair, I was hoping for a quick response. Please help!

AEROCOOK

Re: Need help fast- water pump question

Thanks for the reply, that is the same schematic that i have and the parts Im talking about are 27 and 28. The pump outlet has an open slit down the side and is tapered inside preventing the hard plastic washer (#28) from going to the bottom, it goes down only half way or so. Then when the rubber seal (#27) goes on top of it, there is still an portion of the slit in the pump outlet that remains open. Is the water supposed to be expelled out of this slit for some reason?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

hopefully someone else jumps in as I'm not sure. i didn't have a slit in mine and never noticed nylon washer. the seal just slid over the driveshaft and mated to the top of the pump

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

by the way, hows INNISFIL these days, haven't been back there for 15 years. grew up in Barrie

AEROCOOK

Okay, I figured it out... I win the bonehead of the day award (with the help of the guy who drew up that parts schematic) Turns out the parts were not missing after all, they just werent where I expected to find them. they go in from underneath the pump housing, not from the top down as the schematic would suggest.
Diaric, Innisfil is great and Barrie is growing and very busy, bet you dont miss Bayfield street on a Saturday in the summer.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I figured it out... I win the bonehead of the day award (with the help of the guy who drew up that parts schematic) Turns out the parts were not missing after all, they just werent where I expected to find them. they go in from underneath the pump housing, not from the top down as the schematic would suggest.
Diaric, Innisfil is great and Barrie is growing and very busy, bet you dont miss Bayfield street on a Saturday in the summer.

Hi,
I have an 88 60hp sitting in my vice now. Recently installed a water pump and know what parts you are talking about. The plastic washer fits up in the outlet before you install the upper half of the pump and the rubber sleve slides down in the plastic bushing withe the slit to wedge in the copper tube I think this is a seal setup for when you get the lower unit seated and bolted. Check for the spring at the top of the drive shaft!!! Mine was missing and it preloads the berring under the water pump. Without it the shaft can raise up 1/4 inch. Mine was slipping out of reverse. It would be real easy to loose................Jerry