Gear Case Head Seal?????

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do you remove this thing... I have tried prying it from the front, punching it out from the back... Only an inner spring has fallen out and the seal is now deformed... It is really in there... Any suggestions?

Also the repair kit came with a couple of other "o" rings... The big one I recognized... but there is a small fat pne and a really tiny one.... Any thoughts. It's an evinrude 7.5 1955

Thanks in advance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear Case Head Seal?????

I wish I could say there was an easy way, other than the special tool they made for the job. You obviously can't just pry it out because you will probably break the thin aluminum wall around it. I have an offset screwdriver that I hardly ever use except for bashing those kind of seals out. Stick it through the hole from the inside, blade against the seal and beat on it. Option # 2 is use a Dremel to carve the seal away till there isn't much left, then pry it out.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I've never done a 7.5 but I have had the same problem with a big twin. That's when I made the jig shown below with 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood. The large diameter hole holds the case head snugly. The small hole allows the seal to fall out. Place the case head in and drive the seal out the bottom with a big hammer and drift, rod, or other.

000_0002-2.jpg

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it out... whew! that was a %@*^! Now, the kit included this small fat "o" ring... it does not correspond to anything I can see to replace... could it be the one that goes on the shift rod? if so... where do you put it? what holds it?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It may very well be the o-ring for the shift shaft. On a big twin and the 18's, that o-ring goes into a brass bushing which has a recess to receive it. The brass bushing is driven into a recess in the LU where the shift rod passes into it from above. Some are driven in from the top, some from the bottom. I have no idea about a 7.5 but hope someone will be along who knows.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see a small brass bushing but nothing that will "hold" the "o" ring... I am not sure if I need to remove that bushing and place the "o" ring under it or what... My exploded view shows it is underneath... I guess I could try and pound it up and out of the upper gearcase assembly... but I would like to KNOW if this is the right thing to do and not an excercize. Any help?

OK,OK... I took a stainless steel rod that i bought for removing bushings and....wap,wap,wap... it came out. Also a VERY small piece of the aluminum seat for the FAT "o" ring that was under there. I put the new one in and set the bushing back in... Overall success, but not gracefully executed. I need to do this again on my other 55' 7.5. Any constructive tips for this repair?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The special tool for this is nothing more than a piece of 5/16" rod, turned down on the end to 1/4" to keep it centered.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are right... it is primitive... But, effective. Glad I bought one!