Warm engine at high speed

Dan&Annika

Recruit
Hi! I have a Chaparral 290 with twin 4,3 l volvo penta GS 1999. When I drive in higher speed one of the engines slowly gets higher temperature up to boiling hot after 10-15 min. If I then go back to idle speed the temperature goes down to normal in just a cupple of seconds. I have recently put in a new thermostat, seawaterpump, circulationpump and rebuilt all 4 cylinderheads. But the problem still remains. Does anyone know what else has to be done? I live in Sweden and here I cant get any good answers...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warm engine at high speed

Welcome to iboats......:)
Post up your engine serial # if possible or year......
Don S is the Volvo guy around here, he will have some advice for you when he sees your post, so stick around......:)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Don S is the Volvo guy around here, he will have some advice for you when he sees your post, so stick around......Yes I agree with the above, alot of times I read that maybe the cooling system could be clogged/blocked too, which would cause the engine to heat up too.. But Haut Medoc is right there are others far knowledgable who will be able to help so just be patient they will be on today/tonight and help ya.. PAT

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might pull the risers off and check the risers and manifolds for plugged passages. Especially the outlets on the risers. When they are partially blocked, the engine will overheat only when under a heavy load.

Dan&Annika

Recruit

The riser and manifolds are new, can there be a problem before the seawaterpump, I mean if air comes in somehow?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You could connect a clear hose between the pump & hose & observe the output....
Alot of air bubbles would indicate a leak.....;)
One other possibility is a mechanical overheat from a blown head gasket......
The overheat would occur at high rpm's......
I would think that you could possibly hook a hose between the tstat & exhaust manifolds & observe for air bubbles at high rpm.....
Again, Don is far superior in Volvo knowledge, so I would look for him to answer your questions......:)

Dan&Annika

Recruit

Thanks, good idea! Will connect a clear hose tomorrow to see if there are any bubbles. I dont think it is a head gasket as I changed them a week ago and the problem is still there.