Weird battery switch

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy,

I have a 1984 mercruiser 120 w/ an Alpha 1 outdrive. I just bought the boat and it has a Perko 2 battery switch. My question is in trying to figure out what the previous owner was trying to do with the switch. The boat only has one battery. Pos. 1 is wired to the starter. Common to the alternator, and battery to position 2. Any ideas? Pics included.

Attachments

• perko5.JPG
    perko5.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • perko4.JPG
    perko4.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • perko3.JPG
    perko3.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • perko2.JPG
    perko2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • perko1.JPG
    perko1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Weird battery switch

The battery kept going dead and he was isolating it from the alternator. He would switch it to BOTH for running. At least that's my guess. It certainly isn't what I'd have done. The alternator lead should go to the starter post that the battery lead attaches to. Common would normally replace that battery+ lead and each of two battery+ leads would go to 1 and 2.

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Weird battery switch

The battery kept going dead and he was isolating it from the alternator. He would switch it to BOTH for running. At least that's my guess. It certainly isn't what I'd have done. The alternator lead should go to the starter post that the battery lead attaches to. Common would normally replace that battery+ lead and each of two battery+ leads would go to 1 and 2.

Yeah, kinda weird eh?

I'm gonna slap a deep cycle in there and wire it correctly. Thanks for the insight!