flywheel; how to hold when tightning?

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: flywheel; how to hold when tightning?

you can make a tool to hold it using screw holes in the flywheel, or

If its electric start, wedge a screwdriver or some object between the gear teeth on the flywheel and a lifting bracket or something.

I have rigged up a holder before using a length of 3/8" rope and 3ft - 1" dia wooden dowel. Attach the rope thru a hole in the dowel with a knot, wrap the rope around the flywheel several times and the more pressure you put on it, the tighter it holds.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 140 came with a starting rope, you might be able to use a similar idea as mbb suggests. I wrapped the rope around in the opposite direction (against the torque of the wrench) onto itself, one man holding the rope, the other man on the torque wrench.

fireman57

Captain

Harbor freight sells a flywheel strap for about 10.00 and you don't have to worry about the screwdriver breaking off pieces of your engine or slipping out and stabbing you.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Harbor freight sells a flywheel strap for about 10.00 and you don't have to worry about the screwdriver breaking off pieces of your engine or slipping out and stabbing you.

I've been told that several times but I can't find it on their website. Could you provide more info.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

www. harbor freight (one word no spaces) with a dot com at the end

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Search for strap wrench on their website.

Or make your own from a piece of 2 x 2 lumber and a piece of nylon strap. That way you can make the handle about 3 ft long and tuck it under your arm to free up both hands. And make the loop big enough for larger flywheels. It will still work on smaller ones too. I've never owned a "store bought" one.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Well, I searched for "strap wrench", "strap", "flywheel wrench", "flywheel", and all I found was a 6" rubber strap wrench. I'm not man enough to use a 6" wrench against 105 lb. of torque, so I'll just do what I've been doing or fabricate one as mentioned. Seems as though a Harbor Freight flywheel wrench is just another urban legend.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't risk it without the strap wrench. You'll cause damage.

Once you have the strap wrench (with shipping, you'll be out $25)-- you can do the work with "Piece of mind."

I used it MANY times on a V6 (to 150 ft-lbs) -- And found uses for it outside of the boat.. Stuck jar lids... :)..

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

NAPA stores can order a tool that's called a flywheel holder or turner (KD #2270) that is < $30. Way better than some cobbled up deal and won't slip when applying the required torque.