motor reving very high....boat barely moving.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice
Man it's 1 problem after another lol....got my throttle fixxed so it will now open up all the way (at least I think so) however once the boat got on plane for a couple of seconds (was 28 mph) I took a rather sharp turn then it sounded like the prop came out of the water (which it didnt) and revved very high but moved the boat very slow....I slowed the boat to a idle and tried to bring it back on plane again.....it did the same thing, motor reved high but only got to about 8 mph tried 3 times total before I idled back to dock. So is this a lower unit problem? Boat is a 1972 cobia CC with a 1984 115 johnson vro disconnected and i pre-mix my gas.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice
Re: motor reving very high....boat barely moving.

if it is a spun prop would it still move the boat at slower speeds? Also what would need to be replaced in this situation.

Pony

Rear Admiral

if it is a spun prop would it still move the boat at slower speeds? Also what would need to be replaced in this situation.

Yeas the boat would still move at slower speeds. You have a choice in that scenerio of either having the prop rehubbed or getting a new prop. If you are really happy with the performance of that prop when in good condition, it will be much cheaper to rehub it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the boat would move, but slowly. The damage will increase. If the prop is in otherwise good condition, it may be worth taking it to a prop shop to put in a new grommet, otherwise it will need to be replaced. The grommet has to be pressed into place, and it is not usually done even at dealerships.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

ok say I order a new prop.....how do I know what size/pitch is best for my boat?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The rubber is bonded to the metal hub. Then the whole thing is pressed while rotating it. That's why a prop shop has to do it. Need a press that rotates.

The failure "spinning" happens when the bond between the rubber and center hub breaks free.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

the prop now is old and a bit beat up by previous owner.....I was just trying to get the summer out of it.....but I guess not. What would be the size/pitch I should look for for my boat? Any thoughts on that, or is it a bit more complicated?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys....I'll pull the prop tomorrow and make sure that is what the problem was first.....then I will be sure to order from iboats, after all I would still be dead in the water if it were not for you guys :)
Are there any other situations that would have caused this other than a spun prop?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I don't think there are any that would not have been very noisy and erratic. The prop is under a lot of pressure in a turn. That combined with the heat from the exhaust and just age and a few bumps, will eventually break the bond.

The grommet is there to protect the gearcase when you hit something.

When you look at the hub of the prop, post the numbers here, please.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

I certainly will post them here.....mid day tomorrow. thx again

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

Didnt get a chance to get to it today :( Guess I will have to stay ashore this weekend and get it straight lol.

Tinman57

Seaman

Sounds like the rubber shock mounting on the prop is indeed spun. It is not an expensive repair to the propellor. Maybe you can borrow a prop from the dealer while he fixes yours.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

Neighbor told me best prop for me would be a 13" 19 pitch....which when I pulled the prop off is exactly what was on it......ordering a new one now from iboats ;) thanks guys for all your help.

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

ok, new prop on the boat and still only tops out now at 22mph not even the 28mph I was getting with the same size prop before it spun. I guess this could be due to it sitting in the water still for 2 weeks and the bottom fouling a little from not moving...but I was unhappy with the 28mph, this 22mph is killing me lol. Compression was 105 - 115 across the 4 cyl put a can of seafoam in the tank to decarb but it doesnt seem to help the speed......any other ideas?

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is more than likely a spun prop, but to throw another experience into the conversation: After working on a 135 Evinrude extensively to bring it back into service and testing it on a nearby lake, every outing was filled with apprehension. There were two mitigating factors in this story. One, the water pump had not been replaced and the lake was very shallow and weedy with an extended No Wake from the launch site.

The motor powered up and as it reached higher rpms the boat slowed to nothing, back off the throttle and it would proceed at a slow troll. When the motor was powered up again the "spun prop" syndrone reappeared. At that point, the hot alarm sounded. After shutting down the motor and using an electric trolling motor to get back to the ramp, a spun prop and a failed water pump was all I could think of. After disassembling the LU and looking at the impeller, I found the impeller intact - worn and in need of replacement as a maintenance item and the hub in the prop was ok. What I found and what happened on the lake did not square until I remembered removing a huge string of seaweed from the lower unit that blocked the water intake ports - hot buzzer; and the seaweed caused a cavitation effect on the prop.

Long story short; it's OK to default to the obvious, but there can be other conditions that contribute to a problem.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

From past expirence with a spun prop about 10 miles from home. I crept alone, all day it seemed, until the boat just wouldn't go at all and I could see the ramp, but it was to far to paddle. the wind was blowing against me. Just on a whim I put it in reverse and backed in the last mile faster than the forward speed. The prop guy told me the rubber will most always grab in reverse and can get you a couple of miles more. Just go slow. The less pressure you apply the less slip.

iwombat

Captain

jstme - what rpms are you getting with that new prop?

13x19 would be a good prop for hole-shot, but maybe not give you all the top end you could get. Should be getting a lot more than 22mph though.

Rpms and go from there.