High Oil Pressure Problem!?

SeaRayViking

Seaman Apprentice
I'm still new at this, reading manuals, forums etc, but i have a problem that I can't solve on my own - hope you can help.

I have a Mercruiser 4,3lx 205hp. I runs nicely, starts ok, cooling works perfect, and it does not consume more oil than it's supposed to...

BUT more or less from one day to another, the OIL PRESSURE went up dramatically. The gauge goes all the way up - @3000 rpm it's all up. (My enginge manual suggests 33-50 psi @ 2000 rpmm, which it used to do).

HOwever, it still sounds fine and doesn't heat up.
What could be wrong here? (My Selco manual doen't mention this scenario with one word...)
Hope some one can give me some advice.Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: High Oil Pressure Problem!?

It Sounds like either the Gauge or the Sending Unit is Bad,........

My 1st Guess would be the Sending Unit..........

SeaRayViking

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I hope so:) So you don't think my (dear) engine has been damaged in some way?

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

It is possible to get dirt in the pressure release valve (it regulates the oil pressure) that will cause the valve to stick and raise the oil pressure. I would suggest checking the sender and oil gauge first, but you do not want to run the engine too long with excessively high oil pressure, it will cause oil leaks on your engine and will damage the oil pump and other components.

Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Temporarily hook up a mechanical gauge to find out what the oil pressure is actually reading. If it reads normal, then you have a gauge or sender problem.

SeaRayViking

Seaman Apprentice

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help!
Now comes the stupid questions - i'm sorry.
Where is the pressure release valve located and how do i mount/apply a mechanical pressure gauge? (I've just borrowed one...)

SRV