Omc To Mercruiser?

mtbr00x

Seaman
I have a 1985 sea ray monaco 21' with a 350 v8 ond a omc stringer out drive. can i loose the stringer and put a mer cruiser or different drive on it? would another drive bolt right up? and if so what would something like that cost new/used. thanks for any help. the reason i ask this is, the stringer is expensive and hard to find anyone to work on it. also if anyone could reccomend a boat mechanic in the DFW metroplex. thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Omc To Mercruiser?

That hole in the transom is a lot bigger than the transom shield of any Merc.
So consider a new transom as part of the changeover.
Unless you are seriously wanting to keep that boat, I would think you would be money ahead to sell it while it's still running, and buying one with a newer setup.

Bondo

Staff member

If You're Not doing most All the Work yourself,........

It's Not Worth it,..... Period....... Go Buy another Boat......

It takes some Major Reengineering of the Hull,+ a New Complete Driveline........

You'd be looking to spend, I'd Guess, $10,000.00, Plus.......It could go Twice that.........

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think Kagee has done a few. I think the key is finding a doner boat as he says, and cutting out part of the transom to be tranferred to your boat. Again, as mentioned its not the easiest thing to do. Thought of doing it too as my boat is in good shape. It would be cheaper to just buy a new or rebuilt OMC stringer drive.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Here is a link to a site that sells an adapter plate to replace the stringer drive with a Mercruiser. If thats what your looking for.

Try this website http://www.mercruiserparts.com/partsByNumber.asp

Part number for OMC to Mercruiser adapter plate is -827691A1. You can even see a picture of it. So you can now junk that obsolete white dinasour of yours and get a real engine!

Here is a link to the original thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=197268&highlight=adaptor If you read the entire thd you'll see where the plate is mentioned. Good Luck.