Trailer guide ons

whipcracker

Cadet
What kind of trailer guide ons do you all think are the best? I kind of wanted the tall white ones from Overton's but they don't roll at all and I thought if any of you had some you might tell me how you like them first?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer guide ons

I have the round bent aluminum tube type with pvc pipe over the upright portion.
I cut a 3 inch piece of pvc pipe and riveted that part way up the aluminum tube.
Then I used a longer piece that extends a couple feet up above the upper end of the aluminum tube. They only rest on the riveted pieces and so can rotate.
They uprights are spaced about 3 inches more apart than the boat max. width.

They are held to the trailer via u-bolts and a piece of rubber not extremely tightened.
They are mounted that way so that if and when I come into the trailer "too hot" or not lined up good enough, they will get pushed down before bending.
I then only have to pull them back into position because they can rotate where they are clamped onto the trailer.
I did this mounting change after bending one.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

i built my own. I'm a cheap bas****. lol. welded up a bracket with a piece of tubing on it. put pvc pipe over so would rotate. Later I modified the top by tacking on a cheap bearing with a bolt tacked inside. Then I slipped over a bumper stop and fixed a nut in the recess. Only cost me the pvc pipe and about $3 for a pair of roller bearings. this way the stoppers on top rotate too.

BoatGuide1.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i had save so old trampoline legs, 4 ubolts, a 10 ft piece of 2 " pvc, i have guide ons. i space 1/2 tp 1" clearance. also my lights are out of the water.

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the ones they show here on Iboats, part #86104. I love them. Mine also came with a 4' PVC posts that slide over the metal part of the post. They're very solid, don't roll, easy to see and greatly help in loading.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make your own Guide-on's They roll and are solid. I couldn't handle the boat without them, best $20.00 I've spent.

KaGee

Admiral

I've got the round PVC one's that Cabellas sell.

I bought some pads off of Ebay that slide over the PVC and protect the boat.