Starter not engaging or disengaging

markho

Seaman Apprentice
So i de-carbed and he engine ran great. went out for a few hours. shut the engine off a few times to drift, and she would start right back up with no problem. Around 8pm i have a fish on, turn off the engine, I fight it back to the boat, release it. Turn engine on and all it makes is a humming sound. I havent heard that sound yet, and I start to freak. The nearest boat to me is 100 yards away, i blow my whistle a few times, get his attention and he comes to help. During my freindly tow back to port he asked me to check the starter to see if it was engaged, and it wasn't. It was stuck in the down position so i pryed it up and it engaged the flywheel. Now it won't go down becuase the engine seems to run under load. I guess I need a new starter huh?

kingfish62

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starter not engaging or disengaging

your starter can be rebuilt for a lot less than a new starter would cost. Try putting some grease on the starter bendix. If the Bendix gear is caught up in the flywheel gear try working the fly wheel back and forth to get it loose. Then apply the grease. If it still won't engage on it's own when you hit the key you probably need to have a new bendix installed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter not engaging or disengaging

try putting a couple of drops of light oil on the shaft and work the gear. 90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.