BF90 Runs rough

Calif Bill

Recruit
My 2000 BF90 runs rough, and when I throttle up from idel it wants to die and sometimes does. It runs rough with a slight missing sputering sound till it reaches around 2000 rpms. After 2000 rpms, it seems to run pretty good. It sat for about 4 years. The bottom card was leaking gas. I had the carbs cleaned, fual filter, impeller and water seperator replaced. The macanic says that's the way Hondas run??? Doesn't sound right to me.

Flakeys

Seaman
Re: BF90 Runs rough

I hope your mechanic isn't a Honda mechanic, as thats NOT how honda's run. You mentioned that the #4 carb was leaking gas and they were cleaned and rebuilt. Was this by the mechanic?? If this engine sat for 4 years, i'm sure the jets and possibly the vents in each carb were plugged. The correct procedure after carb overhaul is to set the needle valves, get the base idle adjusted, and then all four carb must be synchronized to each other. This requires a vacuum gage assembly and specialty stuff.

I have a boat that has 2 90HP engines on it and recently rebuilt all eight carbs and syncronized them. This procedure must be done to ensure that no one carb gets more or less work as the engine runs throughout its rpm range. All the fuel filter replacement will ensure clean fuel, but unless this procedure is done properly, I'm afraid your troubles will continue.

Take it to a honda mechanic that knows how to perform the right repairs.

Calif Bill

Recruit
Re: BF90 Runs rough

Thanks for the good advice. I took your advice and dropped it off at a Honda dealer today. Looks like I'll have to pay again, this time to get it done right, I hope.