1995 Johnson 150HP

BNflyfish

Cadet
Hello all, I am looking at buying a used boat that has a 1995 Johnson 150HP outboard. The boat orginally came from this dealer but they say they do not have any maintaince records. It seems to run fine. What can I ask the marine dealer to do to the motor, besides a compression check, that may unvail any problems? Any comments on any other concerns that I should have, like gas consumption, would be greatly appriciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Johnson 150HP

compression, spark, lower unit check, water and pressure. #1 test drive, for atleast 30 minutes. rule of thumb for fuel consumption. move Hp decimal point 1 space left gives, gallons per hour at full throttle. 150HP 15.0 gph.

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 Johnson 150HP

Hello all, I am looking at buying a used boat that has a 1995 Johnson 150HP outboard. The boat orginally came from this dealer but they say they do not have any maintaince records. It seems to run fine. What can I ask the marine dealer to do to the motor, besides a compression check, that may unvail any problems? Any comments on any other concerns that I should have, like gas consumption, would be greatly appriciated.

I have a big comment. The marine dealer should know what to do..being a dealer. If the dealer does not know what to do, I would find another dealer. I would ask them to do a once over. Check to see what they should do. Such as charging check, pump check, compression check...they should know. I really believe even though they have no maintenance records they can do a once over of it and you should be fine. Heck mine after 5 years just sitting took just a few parts. I love my Johnson.