Sounds like fuel starvation..

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there-
I recently inherited a '78 cobia bowrider with a 55hp evinrude. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them, rebuilt fuel pump and new fluid in lower unit. Took it out a couple times and it ran like new. Then today had it out and it was running good.
Stopped and then got back on her and i couldnt get above mid rpm with the throttle all the way down. Took it in, changed out my fuel connectors thinking maybe there was a leak but to no avail.
Any ideas here, i also took the line coming from the fuel pump, its pumping but not a lot of pressure. I dont see how the thing really works honestly.

thanks in advance for any replies

Justin

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sounds like fuel starvation..

Lack of full throttle power is almost always because of not running on all cylinders. On motors with multi carbs this can be caused by trash in the high speed orfice of the offending cylinder's carb. Or it can be caused by no spark on offending cylinder. Or it can be caused by water getting in offending cylinder. Or blown head gasket. Or how about the simplest, a bad or fouled spark plug??

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sounds like fuel starvation..

took the carbs off tonite- i found some gunk in the high speed orifice. I didnt take this out the first time i cleaned them bc i didnt have the tool. Letting it soak overnite and going to throw it back together for tomorrow. Hopefully that was the prob

thanks for the reply
justin