yamaha 9.9 won't go slow.

ggreenbe

Cadet
I have a yamaha 9.9 hi thrust on my sailboat. It has yamaha cockpit controls.My main problem is that i can't get it to go slow. When I try to throttle down like to get to my mooring, I can get the boat down to 4 knots and if I move the throttle any further down, it goes into neutral. I think it idles ok but may be a little faster. Could it be I need to adjust the cables again? Any ideas?

ggreenbe

Cadet
Re: yamaha 9.9 won't go slow.

I don't really know what you mean when you say set idle in gear. Could you clarify. Thnaks. Gerry

ggreenbe

Cadet

I don't really know what you mean when you say set idle in gear. Could you clarify. Thnaks. Gerry

JUSTINTIME

Captain

to set the idle speed
u need it in forward or reverse gear
just the one click

ggreenbe

Cadet

Thanks for responding. I think we are getting somewhere. So I have to get the motor going and then set the idle.Is that right? Where do I find the idle adjustment? What do you mean by "just the one click?"

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Speaking generically you may just need to set the idle speed. there may be a screw that sets the idle speed. Operate the throttle control with the cover off the motor.Note the movement of the linkages you may see a throttle stop.
If there are 2 cables at the motor the throttle cable may need to be adjusted to bring the speed down.
There may even be a speed adjust at the control.
Sorry I can't be more specific I'm not a Yamaha guy.