bad gas?

Mutt020

Cadet
Generally how long would gas last before "going bad"?

Bought my boat, and previous owner stated that it had been sitting for about half a year.

Had some troubles keeping it idling, so carbs were cleaned, new spark plugs installed, and put a new water jacket gasket, and thermostat in it.

Starts better now, but it won't idle. If I keep giving it gas, it'll run fine, but once i let off it'll die. If it idles at all, its only for a few seconds. When its running, there is a pretty good amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Does this sound like bad gas? I dont know.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bad gas?

get rid of the gas and set your idle speed in the water in gear, at 650-700 rpms.

Mutt020

Cadet

its a 1986 evinrude 200 hp 6cyl. put the correct surface gap plugs in it, i dont recall the model #, but I remember them being the right ones. I would try to set the idle speed in the water, but as mentioned before, it's real hard to get it to idle at all once I let off the gas.

Would the large amount of white smoke (more exhaust smoke than usual)have anything to do w/ the gas going bad? And back to the original question, does gas go bad in that short amount of time (6 mos)?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, and yes, might even consider cleaning the carbs, as a partial blockage in the low speed jets could also cause your problem. have you check compression?

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generally how long would gas last before "going bad"?

Bought my boat, and previous owner stated that it had been sitting for about half a year.

Had some troubles keeping it idling, so carbs were cleaned, new spark plugs installed, and put a new water jacket gasket, and thermostat in it.

Starts better now, but it won't idle. If I keep giving it gas, it'll run fine, but once i let off it'll die. If it idles at all, its only for a few seconds. When its running, there is a pretty good amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Does this sound like bad gas? I dont know.

I had gas that was over 4 years in my boat when I brought it back out again after my divorce. You can see the motor I run. The motor started and it ran through. Dag on my Johnson is a gas hog..it ate through the tank real quick.

fireman57

Captain

If you have white exhaust I would definitely check/change my head gasket. White smoke indicates that you are trying to burn water.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

White smoke doesn't always mean water but it could in this case... I've found certain synthetic 2stroke oils burn white.

I would get rid of the surface gap plugs, I've always had ****ty idle with them. Find the standard gap plugs suitable for that engine, there should be a part number on BRP as an "alternative" plug.

How many people are actually using the surface gap plugs out of curiosity?