Audible alarm problem

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small daycruiser with a 200hp Yamaha HPDI -01. When I was out cruising the alarm suddenly started to sound. The sound comes from a horn in the throttle box. I switched off engine immediately and I drifted awhile and tried to figure out what the cause was/is. A SAR boat finally had to tow me back to harbour.
A Yamaha repair guy found a broken plastic ring that is located next to the trim sensor on the pivot shaft around which the engine tilts. The sensor itself seems to be ok. So I ordered a new piece and replaced the old one and I can see on the gauge that the sensor reads as it should, this is where it gets a bit strange. When the engine is fully tilted up and I turn the key to ON, the alarm is quiet, if I start to tilt down the engine, the alarm will start to sound and it won't quit, this is with the engine off, it doesn't matter if I start the engine, it will still sound.
I need to turn the key to OFF to make it stop, as soon as I turn the key to ON it will alarm. This is with all oil levels ok, engine cold etc. I mean, since it alarms with engine off and cold it can't be oil or water pressure, not temp either. The bottom line is, replacing that plastic ring hasn't fixed the problem, although it seems to be part of the problem, because the gauge started to get reading from the sensor that engine is fully tilted up, but that is fixed now, is it something that needs to be resetted? The alarm still sounds, the engine runs fine but I can't really disconnect the horn and use the boat as usual, that would be stupid.

Any idea what might be causing this? The problem is a bit tricky to explain, so if there is something that is unclear please ask me. I would like to check a few things by myself first before handing it over to a Yamaha repair shop because then it will be expensive.

Thanks,
Mattias

TexasX

Seaman
Re: Audible alarm problem

I hope someone replies as I am having asimiliar issue with the T/T at the throttle.

I have a small daycruiser with a 200hp Yamaha HPDI -01. When I was out cruising the alarm suddenly started to sound. The sound comes from a horn in the throttle box. I switched off engine immediately and I drifted awhile and tried to figure out what the cause was/is. A SAR boat finally had to tow me back to harbour.
A Yamaha repair guy found a broken plastic ring that is located next to the trim sensor on the pivot shaft around which the engine tilts. The sensor itself seems to be ok. So I ordered a new piece and replaced the old one and I can see on the gauge that the sensor reads as it should, this is where it gets a bit strange. When the engine is fully tilted up and I turn the key to ON, the alarm is quiet, if I start to tilt down the engine, the alarm will start to sound and it won't quit, this is with the engine off, it doesn't matter if I start the engine, it will still sound.
I need to turn the key to OFF to make it stop, as soon as I turn the key to ON it will alarm. This is with all oil levels ok, engine cold etc. I mean, since it alarms with engine off and cold it can't be oil or water pressure, not temp either. The bottom line is, replacing that plastic ring hasn't fixed the problem, although it seems to be part of the problem, because the gauge started to get reading from the sensor that engine is fully tilted up, but that is fixed now, is it something that needs to be resetted? The alarm still sounds, the engine runs fine but I can't really disconnect the horn and use the boat as usual, that would be stupid.

Any idea what might be causing this? The problem is a bit tricky to explain, so if there is something that is unclear please ask me. I would like to check a few things by myself first before handing it over to a Yamaha repair shop because then it will be expensive.

Thanks,
Mattias

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Audible alarm problem

most lilky a water in the fuel alarm, check the filter cup on the port side of the engine, if no water is presant then unplug the wire at the blue connector from the filter cup and retest.
the trim position has absolutly nothing to do with anything on that engine other than indicating trim.