1972 Johnson 50 hydroelectric drive

TMAC15

Recruit
I got the motor running good with the help from the earlier thread. When we too the boat out it ran great. The contol box isn't working correctly though....in order to move the boat you have to hold it wide open....the prop doesnt move with it engaged until you hold it wide open.....and its the same in reverse.....is this a problem in the box or can i adjust it on the motor?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Johnson 50 hydroelectric drive

Are you saying you put the control in forward or reverse and nothing happens till you open the throttle to wide open?? Ouch! Doesn't that slam into gear awfully hard? You are going to break something if that is what is happening. Can't think of anything that might cause that except the shift switch in the control. Lever loose on the switch? I dunno.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Look for a slipped prop hub here. I ran a 125 hydro-electric for year's with the best lube I could get, last HFP. There is a lot of confusion about that gearcase. I never tried, but I believe that gearcase would shift no matter what oil you put in it, right down to cooking oil. It would not last long, but I'll bet it would shift. The idea here is to protect the gear's, and bearing's. Once that case is in gear, it is immaterial how it got there. That gearcase is the same as a manual shift, but with a hydraulic assist. Heavy oil might make shifting sluggish in cold water, but I'll bet still faster than you can do it by hand.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good point, the prop is made of to metal hubs, and a rubber bushing inside when the bushing goes, the prop slips. mark a line across the prop hub, give it a try, if still lined up it's not the prop.

Attachments

• MVC-149S.JPG
    MVC-149S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

But he says nothing happens till he gets the throttle wide open. That's just the opposite that one would expect with a spun prop hub.

Very interesting!!