1986 3.0 mercrusier alpha 1, need help!

mjohns2002

Recruit
Ok it was overheating so I put it in forward and dropped the lower unit then replaced the impeller and all the gaskets, case and all that junk... and put it back together. so I put it in neutral and start it up, It runs great and doesnt overheat anymore. But now comes the problem its always in forward gear and wont go into reverse just stalls out if I try. and wont go into neutral.... Whats the problem? Did I put something wrong when I put the lower unit back together?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 3.0 mercrusier alpha 1, need help!

Whats the problem? Did I put something wrong when I put the lower unit back together?

Yep, probably missed aligning the shift shafts all the way thru.

mjohns2002

Recruit

I thought I had it lined up, can you describe that in a little more detail? and are you talking about the little shaft or the main shaft or both? I just bought this boat and have never taken a outdrive apart before.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PS: Here's a link to online OEM Service manual
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf[/QUOTE]

Don, you helped me with a similar problem but when I click on the link it is only 7 pages of intro to a mercruiser manual....(Wheres the beef?)....Pete

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Move the cursor & click over the section you want to view......
Did you remember to replace the washer that sits on top of the lower shift shaft?.....
The one that limits up & down play?......;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Scroll to the outline page (last page of the link above) Then click on the Section LETTER (not section number) that you want to go to.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scroll to the outline page (last page of the link above) Then click on the Section LETTER (not section number) that you want to go to.

Thanks Guys!.....It would help to do that ....I have been working too many hours lately...(not enough to work on boat,car or anything else for that matter!)....but thanks as always to you guys and this site for your continued patience and help...I do not think anyone likes to wait for a "certified marine repair shop" to repair you boat then you get it home and they did a worse job than you could..I learned my lesson on that one...Pete