New to Boating

ChicoC17

Recruit
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and boating so this is my first post. I've been thinking about buying a boat for a while and just want to know if this boat would be a good start for me http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/2004/26'-ft/sea-ray/260-overnighter/cruiser-(power)/inboard/90005/1209222.htm I noticed it says freshwater boat but I can still use it in saltwater right?? I live in Hawaii so I would have to ship from California.. but I havent's seen a boat like that in Hawaii for sale any suggestions please reply. Thanks!

magster65

Commander
Re: New to Boating

Aloha!
That's a beautiful boat... but maybe not what you need in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Those are more of a calm water boat plus 'ocean dwellers' should have fresh water cooling if the engine is to survive.
Very nice boat though.
I have a 240 Sundancer... it's not too bad in rough water but it's not great. For unprotected waters you probably want a boat with a good sized keel to slow the 'rocking'. The problem with that is they're usually slower boats.
What are you going to use it for and where mainly?

ChicoC17

Recruit

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm going to use the boat for cruising and doing some fishing with my wife and friends. I don't think I'll be going too far offshore with it. I see a lot of people with small boats here in Hawaii..I have a friend with a 20ft angler that he uses for fishing..is the keel much different in one of those?? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about boating to make an educated decision when buying my first boat. Those searays are beautiful boats and everybody says they are great. Like I said I'm not planning on going 50 miles offshore or anything like that..just want a boat I can have fun cruisng with my wife around Hawaii and do a little fishing as well.

magster65

Commander

I personally don't like raw water cooled engines in salt water, they can build up with salt deposits and the exhaust's life expectancy is... well... not good. That's why they make 'fresh water' / 'closed cooling' systems plus you could add a heater like your car has (buss heater). Not like you need heat there 'eh? That's definitely a beautiful boat though.