New to Mercruiser I/O

MadCityMike

Cadet
Previously have always owned Johnson outboard boats and just picked up a boat with an 85 3.0L 140hp Alpha One. It has a few issues I was hoping someone might be able help me out with.

1 - The quicksilver remote throttle only button doesn't disengage the gear selector cable, so there's no way to give it throttle without it being in gear. Is this a common issue for this vintage remote? Easy fix? I've removed the button but can't see anything so far as to why it doesn't work.

2 - Idle speed. It idle's really choppy so I bumped it up a couple hundred rpms so that it runs smoother and doesn't kill on me. I then found out that I couldn't shift from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral. It would just jump from forward to reverse or reverse to neutral. Is this working as designed? Is there something else I can adjust to allow for idle speed I want AND be able to shift? Sorry the tach doesn't work, so I can't give an exact rpm, but I bet it's around 700 - 800.

3 - When under power if I steer to the left or right I can hear noise coming from the sterndrive and can feel a lot of vibration. Do these use U-joints or CV joints, or something else for that matter? If U-joints, does that sound like what it could be?

4 - As far as manuals are concerned, I've seen posts not to get the clymer's and to get a different one. Which one should I get and where can I get it?

5 - The Trim/Tilt gauge doesn't seem to work and I was curious where I would find the sender for this gauge?

6 - What temp should the engine be at once warmed up? Do these run a thermostat like a car, or is there water always flowing through?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help in advance!

Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to Mercruiser I/O

1 - The quicksilver remote throttle only button doesn't disengage the gear selector cable, so there's no way to give it throttle without it being in gear. Is this a common issue for this vintage remote? Easy fix? I've removed the button but can't see anything so far as to why it doesn't work.

Can you post a picture of the one you have?

2 - Idle speed. It idle's really choppy so I bumped it up a couple hundred rpms so that it runs smoother and doesn't kill on me. I then found out that I couldn't shift from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral. It would just jump from forward to reverse or reverse to neutral. Is this working as designed? Is there something else I can adjust to allow for idle speed I want AND be able to shift? Sorry the tach doesn't work, so I can't give an exact rpm, but I bet it's around 700 - 800.
You need a tack, probably also need a tuneup, check the dwell (if you have points) check the timing, check the carb adjustment and get a tach. Wouldn't hurt to do a compression check since you know nothing about the engine. At least you will have a baseline to work from.

3 - When under power if I steer to the left or right I can hear noise coming from the sterndrive and can feel a lot of vibration. Do these use U-joints or CV joints, or something else for that matter? If U-joints, does that sound like what it could be?
Sounds like ujoints. Could be just worn out, could also be because of water in the bellows. You REALLY need to pull the drive and check that and a bunch of other stuff since the boat is new to you.
You WILL need an alignment bar.

4 - As far as manuals are concerned, I've seen posts not to get the clymer's and to get a different one. Which one should I get and where can I get it?
You will need 2 manuals one for the engine and one for the drive.
The drive manual is easy. It's online and downloadable for free.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf
The engine manual you will have to buy. You need manual #10 assuming you have an 85 engine. That doesn't always happen just because the boat is 85. Do you have an engine Mercruiser serial number?

5 - The Trim/Tilt gauge doesn't seem to work and I was curious where I would find the sender for this gauge?
The sender is on the outdrive. Look at the manual link I posted above.

6 - What temp should the engine be at once warmed up? Do these run a thermostat like a car, or is there water always flowing through?

Is it raw water cooled or does it have a closed cooling system with antifreeze?