Anyone painted their OB with Mercury black?

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice
I've just painted my '71 650 with a coat of phantom black Mercury paint, and put a Mercury clear coat over it. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with this. How well does it last? How long do I wait before doing anything with it?

I did it mainly because I'll be in saltwater for the next few months and want max protection. Any ideas about anything else I can do to protect? Thanks again.

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Anyone painted their OB with Mercury black?

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• Engine_before_after.jpg
    Engine_before_after.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Nice job!! I might even give it try.

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. For some reason, looking better makes it sound better... funny how that works :)

Rocky4052

Seaman

Oh,man! Now I have to add another thing to do to my list!! Looks sweet.

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I painted mine earlier this season with the Mercury spray paint. Make sure you use the Zinc chromate primer underneath before painting to add corrosion protection (assuming there are some areas of metal showing after prep). My paint is holding up well except for the bottom of the skeg (which doubles as a depth finder in my shallow bay location)..

USAFitz

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, I didn't realize about the zinc primer, but I think it'll be fine. It's a bit humid out here, so it's taking a while to fully dry. But it's holding up nicely and damn it looks good.

studlymandingo

Commander

Looks great!

If you didn't go down to bare metal when you sanded, then the lack of zinc-chromate primer shouldn't be an issue.​