How old

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: How old

Pre WW-II. Anything newer is considered a Classic. There was little production of outboards during the war. The metals were dedicated to military use. Also, a lot of outboards made prior were melted down for the war effort.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a good many of the 1950's motors still in regular use. i love them, great power, and easy to work on. parts still available.

wbeaton

Commander

Yes, I think the accepted time period is pre WW2 or at least pre 1950. However, it bugs the heck out of me. I have a collection of 1950's OMC and it annoys me that they are only considered classics. This is the only hobby where a 50 some year old motor is not considered antique. What gets me most is that in 50 years they'll probably still call them classics!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, how come something does not become an antique after "x" amount of years? Like 50 years or older is antique, period.

Also, does it make you laugh or cry when you go into an "antique" shop and see the same stuff you recieved as wedding presents?

CATransplant

Admiral

Yes, I think the accepted time period is pre WW2 or at least pre 1950. However, it bugs the heck out of me. I have a collection of 1950's OMC and it annoys me that they are only considered classics. This is the only hobby where a 50 some year old motor is not considered antique. What gets me most is that in 50 years they'll probably still call them classics!

Yeah. We old farts are still running those old motors. We don't like to be called antiques ourselves, so we call the outboards "classics." Yeah...that's the ticket. :D