Prop Damage

How much horsepower is lost when a prop becomes damaged? The prop on my 4.3 looks like it was attacked by a weedeater, with chips missing from each of the three blades and burrs sticking up everywhere. A new prop at the local boat shop runs $325. Is it worth it for mpg or hp sake? Or should I keep trucking on? Also does anyone know of any better outlets to get props and about how mcuh are they?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Damage

You should probably post this in the prop forum.....
That said, you can experience significant reduction in performance from a damaged prop......;)

BoatMyAssOff

Seaman Apprentice

Just search on this site, I'm sure I've seen them cheaper......You also have to consider prob balance, and the wear on your motor.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Haut is spot on. Any damage to the prop will reduce overall performance and fuel efficiency. Is the prop SS or Alum? Rebuilding the prop a good route, and generally 1/3 the cost or new.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most marine repair shops carry rebuilt props at good prices.:cool:

thanks guys, i guess i will be looking for a new prop sooner rather than later. any suggestions? it's current prop is comparable with a black diamond aluminum 3 blade 19 pitch. i am wanting to get the most wake / pulling power from the 4.3LX, but i will be doing most of my riding in smaller rivers / lakes, thus i'm scared to get a stainless for fear of hitting a rock.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually aluminum props can be rebuilt for $100 or so.....

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

don't be scared of a stainless prop...most new props are made with a rubber or plastic hub made to spin out on impact and prevent damage to your gearcase :cool:

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

I busted a lot of props getting familiar with a new lake. the rebuilt direction is good but you may also want to look at e-bay for a deal. I went to a composit prop ( not into racing , just pleasure ) it was cheaper, runs better than the aluminum ones did and has missed the rocks for 4 years....