bottompainting question

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi all question. i never put my boat in salt water and never keep it in the water.i never paint my bottom, but i brought this boat that was bottom painted black...it needs a recoat..if i never keep this boat in the water is it the worst idea to use mab or a major good quaily black exterior home paint to make it look great as my buddy used to use house paint all the time and he never had problems. i see as a former car painter 1 gal red paint west marine $45 plant $75 gal to me in the car type paints red is always the highest. i think its because mostly no one paints boat red on bottom???
thanks bob

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: bottompainting question

Even in fresh water you can still have marine growth that will cause drag. Do you keep your boat in a slip?, or is it always on a trailer? If its not always in the water, I wouldn't bother painting it at all, I would just power wash it if it becomes dirty.

delsol

always on trailer but i have to hid old paint from different owner..looks real bad...strickly looks is all i care about as their will never be any growth on boat
also inclosed pict as half of my boat is black jell coat and half bottom paint..i wish i could get rid of the old paint but too much work..just want to paint over top of old.
bob

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

delsol

the whole front 5' or so black jell coat on bottom, not paint the back half is bad paint
bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bob, Antifouling bottom paint is very soft. If you paint over it, the new paint will likely just chip off, exposing the gel coat or the old bottom paint. As I see it, your choices are to remove the paint and either polish up the gel coat or paint with marine polyurethane (<$20 qt), or throw another coat of cheep antifouling paint over it, to dress it up a bit.

sprdty

Cadet

i have stripped a boat that had antifoul paint on it, not fun.
you will need a respirator, disposable clothes and nitrate gloves.
-
interlux 3000 as a primer/sealer and CCP.

i wished i would have put awl grip instead anti fowl to keep the bottom slick,

but i didnt us a respirator and after it was complete i lost 40+ pounds from inhaling all that dust.
i just used that paper mask.

west marine also sells VC teflon type paint.
what ever paint you use make sure it is trailerable and check the the lay over times per coat, you dont want to have to sand the previous coat, so the new coat will adhere.

west marine used to have great pamplets i describe the way it should be done.

i did mine while boat was still on trailer then swiched to roller bunks,
finished the to bunk board areas.
after onetime in the water you couldnt tell that the patch jods were ever done.

read alot and study the directions and the watch the weather- as you dont want it to rain while in the middle of priming and painting.

Jimmyz123_

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure that your weather is going to be nice if you are doing this outside. I made the mistake of painting and did not know that a storm was moving in. I thought even though the boat sat for about 3 hours prior to putting the cover on, the paint still had some sags in it. Not good. My wife wants me to paint is a different color anyway so I am about to start that. Also, make sure you are not on call for work when trying to paint. You will for sure get called in the middle of doing the job.