1952 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5

D Ray

Cadet
I was given a 1952 evinrude fleetwin 7.5 hp and I have a few questions for the experts. First, the fuel tank has some rust in it and I plan to clean it out with some copper BBs but haven't done so yet. I did rig up an external tank to see if it would run and it would for about 10 seconds and then get air in the line.

1.) can I hook up an external tank? The reason I ask is because I dont see a fuel pump or pick up on the carb. Is the fuel gravity fed from the tank on top?
2.) Is a J6C the correct spark plug?
3.) Is there a seal kit available for the lower unit? When run briefly in a barrel of water I noticed milky grease/oil oozing from a few locations.
4.) What type of lower unit grease/oil is recommended? The sticker on the motor read "use oil, not grease".
5.) Is the motor air cooled or water cooled? I noticed while it briefly would run that water would squirt out of a hole in the lower unit (impeller must be working?)
6.) If I mix a good synthetic outboard oil would 32:1 be o.k. or should I mix 24:1
7.) Any advice or things to look for with this motor?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

D Ray

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1952 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5

Yes you can hook up an external tank if you can add a fuel pump from a later model similar hp E-rude...Google this and you'll find the tips. The stock tank relies on gravity to feed the carb.
Yes the J6 plug is correct. You can also run a J4 or J8...the J4 is a colder plug, the J8 a hotter plug.
Seal kits are available. If your outboard has F-N-R and a shift handle, use hypoid oil, if it is direct drive use Lubriplate 105 engine grease in the lower unit.
It is water cooled. If you see water out of the leg that's good. Still would be a good ideal to change the impeller...get a manual.
I believe 24:1 is the recommended fuel:eek:il mix, you could probably run it at 32:1 with a modern 2 stroke oil like TCW-3 but why tempt fate...oil isn't that pricey.
Get a manual...google for one or maybe an Evinrude service manual. Acme Outboards has several of these on CD...acmeoutboards.com
Nice little motor...get it running, use it and pass it along to the kids/grandkids.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The '52 Fleetwins are nice little motors. I have the same motor in my stable. It is indeed water cooled and just because it is pumping now, do not assume the pump is "good". The impeller in your motor is an oddball and no longer available, BUT you can make one from a later 5.5/6/7.5 impeller with a little help from a belt sander. The new impellers are available right here on iboats. I believe the part number is 18-3001. You can also get them through a local Johnrude dealer (under OEM number for a '66 6hp) or NAPA (under same number as iboats).

The '52 also uses the common Johnrude coils and ignition components should you need anything. If the coils are original, they will probably need to be replaced.

Don't run it at 32:1 - that motor has bronze bearings that need the extra volume in there to cushion the rod bearings and act as a seal for the crank at the main bearings. Keep it at 24:1...

Your motor has a neutral clutch - I have seen them run with grease and some with oil. Both seem to work fine. I have oil in mine.

Your tank shouldn't rust - it is aluminum. The stuff inside is likely dried out fuel varnish. Could also be remnants of a fuel filter canister or something else. The BB trick should work fine. Use laquer thinner as a solvent to help things along...

Enjoy!
- Scott

D Ray

Cadet

Awesome! Thanks guys! It will be a project that I hope to get on this weekend but may take a while to complete. I'll let you know how it goes and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. I plan to get a manual to assist with the project.

Thanks again!

D Ray

D Ray

Cadet

Another quick question.....I will have to re-set the lean/rich adjustment because I took the knob off when I pulled the carb off to clean it up. It is the large knob and I can't remember which one (slow speed?) but it is the larger of the 2. To initially re-set it is it correct to screw it in all the way and then back off 1 1/2 turns? Then get it to barely run and turn 1/4 turn? I saw this for a similar motor and wondered if it were true for this one.

wbeaton

Commander

Yes, its the same procedure. One turn on the larger high speed jet and 1.5 turns on the smaller low speed. With the motor running at WOT turn the high speed knob in (clockwise) an 1/8 of a turn at a time until it starts to sputter or die and then back out until it runs best. Then take it down to idle and set the low speed jet the same way. I then like to take the knobs off and set them so that the number 3 is set to the middle position on the pointer for easy reference.

D Ray

Cadet

Well, I got the tank clean and put it back together. I think I am gonna need a carb kit. I couldn't get it to stay running and the only way it would start is to put it in gear with the throttle way up. It would run for 8 or 10 seconds then stall out. I also had fuel leaking out of the carb.

Is it possible to get the carb kit at NAPA? Does anyone know the part # or do I just tell them it the # on the side of the carb?

Also, what are the symptoms for bad/cracked coils? I will probably replace them anyway but wanted to know what to look for.

Thanks.
D Ray

wbeaton

Commander

Take a look at the coils. If they are cracked and/or powdery white they are bad. Bad coils = bad spark. The basic symptoms of bad coils are rough operation, hard starting, low power, etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I believe that is a Tillotson MD carb. It is getting hard to find parts for them. Try laingsoutboards.com/ A lot of other motors also used the same basic MD carbs with modifications for their particular use.