91' 200 hp mariner advice please

I messed up and left the oil tank pressure cap off my port engine, idled out on both, shut off port, trolled on the starboard. Got ready to go home and fired up the port, jumped on plane, port shut down with a loud clacking sound. Next day, I just bumped it to see if it would crank, it started and clacked and I immediatly shut it down. Pressurized oil reservoir tank was 1/2 full and the tank up on the motor was about 1/2 full. I filled the upper tank, cracked the cap and started it for a second, still clacking. shut it off. If there is air to be bled out, how bad should I hold my breath to run it a few minutes? Since it ran lean for a short, and quit at a high rpm (4000) what damage might have occured?
Thank you

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 91' 200 hp mariner advice please

clanking ain't good, it ain't the oil tank, time for compression check, and a look inside. don't start if again, something may come flying out the side.

Thank you, I will take a comp check...if it is good, hopefully, then, bleed the pump?

gss036

Commander

Any time you get clanking inside of a 2 stroke, it usually will mean that you have thrown a rod, bearing, bearing cap or all 3. There just isn't much else inside that will make that kind of noise.
I would think when you do your compression check, there will be at least one very low cylinder. Keep us posted on your results.
The oil system from the on tank on the engine is a gravity fed system to the oil pump and when it gets low, there should be a warning horn signaling that there is only 20-30 minutes of oil left in the tank.

Thank you, I am going to go get it Sunday. It sounded like valves to me, but...I guess it "sounds" like I cant get that lucky. I will post the results of the compression test, and take it from there.

j_martin

Admiral

Ain't no valves in a 2 cycle, 'cept reed valves which don't make much noise. If it clanks, it's major iron. Almost anything can be repaired except a ventilated block.

hope it helps
John

ahh, I guess I can quit hoping for some luck and will end up inside it. Thanks

All cylinders were 125 to 126 except for #2...1/2# fried around the outside of the piston, ate the walls. Now I need a powerhead. pieces af aluminum made it back to the reed chamber. What is my best choice?
Thank you all for all the help.

I am going to do an upgrade instead of replacing the powerhead and such. Thanks for all the info and help guys.